Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bzzzzy As A Bee

Moving things around, painting, cleaning, and spiffing up. We have dear friends from Germany arriving Friday who will stay with us for ten days. We met them when we taught a week long tango workshop in Umbria in Italy (we did this for a wonderful three years in a row). Subsequently they hosted a tango workshop for us in Hamburg, Germany where they live, so it is so nice to have them come and visit us in New Orleans.

Before Marilyn moved in
I silver leafed the lamp on the right and changed out the shades



I moved Marilyn in and silver leafed a floor lamp in the living room. I also painted a little junky table I had, following the explicit directions for The Bayou Contessa, who has much experience doing this.

The table got a light sanding.
Then a coat of XIM primer (also recommended by Optimism and White Paint professional faux painter Mitchell). I was told it's very stinky so take the project outdoors.
Then the Contessa says she paints every piece of furniture with a first coat of brown called Texas Leather. Okay.
Then on goes the color I chose, the ever popular China White
Two coats later with sanding and steel wool in between, and a little accent painting with the brown paint, a little knocking back some of the white, and it was done. It took a few days to allow each coat to dry, so if you're in a hurry you are out of luck.
And here it is insitu looking as cute as it can be! Thanks Contessa for the tutorial!
Also, New Orleans bloggers Save The Date Saturday March 28 for a very special evening. Please send me your e-mail if you'd like to be included mizvtheb@yahoo.com
And if anyone will be visiting New Orleans then, please let me know so you can join us.

18 comments:

  1. Nice! I have a little side table that could use this treatment! Maybe I've found my inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. XIM is wonderful...that primer will stick to anything including formica, glass, and tile. If you are painting over it with a darker colour, it can be tinted grey. If you are doing a distressed or antique finish with heavy sanding on the edges, the grey will peek through the other layers, which I find to be a nice touch. In fact, if you have it tinted to texas leather, you can save yourself a step. And Vamp is right, it smells awful, much worse than oil paint, or even kilz. Where do you find these great finds? I must live in the wrong part of town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That table looks fabulous and your home is beautiful as always - have fun and enjoy your friends, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to add: love, love, love the Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job on the table! I've been wanting to learn how to do this technique - I love it's lines, too.

    AND you've been silver leafing? Fabulous - the lamp looks exceptional. You are way out ahead of me on this technique too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great transformation on the table Valerie! And Marilyn just adds fabulosity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that look! I have a Bombay piece that I would love to do a little "fresh up" on...will keep this technique in mind!
    Have fun with your friends!
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog ... have a wonderful holiday with your friends from Germany!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before and afters always rule! Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that table looks great! and that couch is amazing!!! I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You never cease to amaze me, Valorie!
    You refinished the table, and you silver leafed your lamp?! Just beautiful. Of course Marilyn is fantastic.
    I can't believe that I am going to miss your event by a couple of days. I am coming into town on April 1st for a design conference. I would still love to meet even if it is just for a quick "hello".
    I am so excited. I have never been to New Orleans before.

    xo
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only just discovered you - what a beautiful blog! The table is just gorgeous and I'm impressed beyond words at your commitment to the task. Hope you have a lovely time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. again. you amaze me. every day. it is sooooo gorgeous. just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hello there

    love your blog, just discovered it;-)
    may I ask you about the silver leafing? I want to leaf a table, did you use paint or the actual leafing method?

    thanks!
    http://galsintheknow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, Baby! The Marilyn and the black lamp shades take it to higher ground. Perfect for the cravings that awaken at this time of year - shaking off the soft focus and tightening the screws. Nice job on Dr. Bombay there too. Yummy silver leaf. Don't ya love having that fever!

    ReplyDelete