Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mardi Gras Table

We seem to exist on King Cake and booze once the last week of Carnival leading to Mardi Gras gets going.


I set the table for a quick snack before we dash off to the parades.


Cups with the devil on them are for Cafe Brulot, and the small vintage plates have revelers on them. The King Cake is displayed on an Italian white ceramic leaf form platter.



A ruched gold lame tablecloth is decorated with fleur de lis scepters and gold beads and a gold glitter top hat. Everything is black and gold this year here in the Who Dat Nation. I spy a jar of King Cake babies that I've gotten over my ten years in New Orleans. Who knows about those?



The skeleton on the chart has a carnival mask on, as if thumbing his nose at death.


Even the brandy next to the small vintage sipping glasses has a Fleur de lis on it!



Thus fortified, we hit the streets!

Thanks Susan for hosting Tablescape Thursdays! Wish you were here!

15 comments:

  1. Number:: one I love the Gold, use it on the Mantel at Christmas.
    #2 Those plates are such fun.
    #3 Wish I owned the Chinese light fixture.
    #4 TAKE ME WITH YOU..

    Have fun I haven't been there this time of year from the 60's. I
    was awesome.. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have ANY IDEA how torturous your posts about Carnival and Mardi Gras are to us Midwesterners stuck with cold and snow!?!? So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so incredible. I love it all. I have never been to New Orleans or Mardi Gras. Your chairs are so cool and love your art. Love that lantern. Like I said: love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the plates they are so cool!!Looks like fun had by all!
    Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your home and table-filled with gusto and good cheer. Are the King's Cake babies-found inside the cake??? And is it very good luck for the lucky finder?
    Wish I were right there. Sooo much fun going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl!!
    Love those Babies - I remember when they were actually in the cakes when we got them from the bakery! No sneaking a peak underneath to get the magic piece then. And since I am older than dirt I remember ceramic babies that were baked in the cake.
    Mardi Gras, SuperBowl, and now SNOW!!! Gotta love the Crescent City!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How excessively delightful! XO Trish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mariposa, or I should say Valerie! How are you! Do you remember me? I'm so glad I found you again.
    Your table is so festive - love those dishes - how perfect! I'm not sure about the babies in the cake but always thought they meant good luck if one was in your piece!
    Here in Galveston we're having Mardi Gras too! Saw our first parade last weekend.
    Oh, come and see me sometimes. I have a blog now and yours is so wonderful!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;) aka Picklepoo -RMS

    ReplyDelete
  9. What style! Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day! Lia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting the baby in your piece of cake means a few things:
    1. You buy the next cake for the next gathering
    2. You are the Queen for the night, or the King.
    3. 12th Night Revelers Ball had a cake with a silver or gold bean in it and the Maid who received the Bean was the Queen of the Ball. Don't know if they still do that or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have 2 of those devil cups that my mom gave me. Do you know what the history is behind them? Mine are antiques and I've often wondered if they were valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just posted, but it got caught up in some "error 404" or something.

    Any-hoo-hoo, as I was saying: A fascinating table, and I'm wild for those vintage plates. I always love how you are so "not off the rack" with your styling, Miz V.

    ReplyDelete