Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hit The Streets Now!

If you are in New Orleans and need some last minute gifts, take a look at these and hit the streets. I love to give gifts that say New Orleans, and these are my favorites.

The Preservation Resource Center,  has a great little gift shop, at their headquarters at 923 Tchoupitoulas Street (In the Warehouse District). My go-to gift from there, is a set of glasses etched with New Orleans houses on them. They are double old-fashioned glasses and hold a generous 13.5 ounces. Renowned designer Mignon Faget makes them for the PRC.  Alberto and I love to give this gift boxed set of four to both locals and visitors. The profits benefit the PRC when you buy them there.

PRC Creole Cottage double old fashion glass - Set of four comes in a gift box for $40. - Note the Absolut New Orleans, another great gift to give

Set of four Creole Cottage glasses - Get them at the Preservation Resource Center

Another gift I love to give, is Debra Shriver's fabulous coffee table book about New Orleans called "Stealing Magnolias". Locals and visitors alike love this beautifully written book, a Valentine to New Orleans, chock full of useful facts and information, and dozens and dozens of gorgeous photos.

Forget Amazon and go and buy it local. 
Get it at Tommy's Flowers in the French Quarter (533 Rue St. Louis (504 333-6822). It's so much fun to shop off line. George and Nancy Seegers at Tommy's will make you feel welcome.

Stealing Magnolias by Debra Shriver is on the coffee table of The Visual Vamp! Pick up a copy to give or keep

The days after Alberto and I returned to New Orleans from our Hurricane Katrina evacuation, I made my way to a jewelry shop called Sterling Silvia (4861 Magazine Street), and bought a small Fleur di lis necklace. We all wore the Fleur di lis to show solidarity, and I have not taken mine off since. Many people admire mine, and I have given several just like mine as gifts over the years. 

My Fleur di lis pendant necklace from Sterling Silvia

Sterling Silvia has the best selection of jewelry with New Orleans designs at really affordable prices. They have been in the French Quarter for years, but recently opened a new shop on Magazine Street.

My Fleur di lis necklace hangs on a lady Santos, but only for the photo! I haven't taken it off for the years since Katrina!
Candles are the prefect last minute gift. Who doesn't love a nice candle? I love to give the Orleans candle. It is very affordable, around $12., and it is just a nice as any luxury brand. I get mine at Gordon's, 725 Veterans, Metairie.

Orleans candles are as good as the luxury brands, but way more affordable


I love the black glass tumbler the Orleans candle comes in


So I'll see you on the street!!!!! Shop local when you can, wherever you live.

The Visual Vamp always wears a Fleur di lis necklace form Sterling Silvia

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http:thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower



6 comments:

  1. I'm going to check out the Preservation Resource Center...is that where you purchased the Absolut New Orleans? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Absolute New Orleans came from,

    Blackwell's Wines & Spirits
    415.FUN.WINE (386-9463)
    5620 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94121

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously another reason why I screwed up not visiting New Orleans and YOU! I think giving a gift that speaks of where we live or who we are makes it extra special.

    I'm hoping your holiday season is extra special, just like you & Alberto are Valorie. Sending peace, love, joy and good health to you both for the New Year.

    Much love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do all of the above!
    The happiest of holidays to you and Alberto!
    xoxo Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I LOVE this post, VV! Gorgeous finds, and am now in love with Sterling Silvia. Very touching that you wear the Fleur dis lis for solidarity. Ask old timers about Betsy, and you'll still see tears well up.

    Merry Christmas, VV
    XO

    ReplyDelete