Monday, January 23, 2012

Little Pictures Everywhere

Alberto gave me a book for Christmas called Dealer's Choice  - At Home With Purveyors of Antique And Vintage Furnishings. Culled mainly from dealers who are on 1stdibs, with a forward by 1stdibs founder Michael Bruno, it is jam packed with ginormous beautiful photos and some witty text.

It is always interesting to see what dealers and shop keepers bring home. Sometimes it's things that don't sell, and sometimes it's things that emotionally resonate to the point that profit is no longer viable.

In the past twenty years or so, the antique market has changed with the inclusion of mid (20th) century wares. It has infused spaces using furnishings from the 16th, 17th, 18th, and/or 19th century with a certain "new" energy. Dealer's Choice has so many great examples of how to successfully put a room together using elements of all centuries.

I have book marked many pages, and from time to time I'll post one for you. Today it is the dining room of Richard Shapiro, a dealer from Los Angeles.

"The Surrogates" installation by Allan McCollum - 192 individual pieces - on the dining room wall in the home of Los Angeles antiques dealer Richard Shapiro, from  the book Dealer's Choice by Craig Kellogg

I LOVE all the little frames! So lo and behold I had another image in the old clipping file:


Via Google Images

And then BAM! Nicole Cohen posted this image the other day:

100 little paintings done by Nicole Cohen for IPGMedia Brands

Great design travels fast!!!!

Add the book Dealer's Choice to your design book collection. You can take a peek HERE


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower

2 comments:

  1. What a great gift. I love the little frames. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valorie,

    I love the little pictures everywhere. I have used little mirrors everywhere several times with great success!

    I just added DEALER'S CHOICE to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete