Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Updating A China Cabinet

I am working with a couple on their living room and dining room. The homeowners have a collection of very traditional wood furniture pieces, along with collections of porcelain, glassware, and silver. They are a younger couple, and their decor, that they have had since 1992, is looking dated.

via Southern Living


They started with adding some good quality contemporary pieces, including an Italian red leather couch, and a pair of killer mid century modern chairs. But it was not working with the 1992 paint color, and wallpaper (including a wallpaper border in the living room).

I have parameters to work with. I cannot paint the furniture, and I must include the vast and varied collections in some way. The couch and newly acquired contemporary pieces must remain, as well as a pair of investment silk drapes in the living room.

We have made a great start. The wallpaper border is down in the living room, and the room was repainted my famous Vamp Greige. A new coffee table has been purchased, along with a couple of lamps. Furniture was rearranged, and fabric chosen to reupholster the mid century chairs. An Oushak was purchased to tie it all together. Some new art work is being added.

We are making great strides - the living room "before"

We are moving into the dining room, taking down wallpaper. This room will also be painted Vamp Greige. The chandelier will be lowered and updated. Like so many, this couple purchased a good quality dining room set that they are not ready to part with, or have me paint. This type of dining room set, though out dated, is still in wide use in many, many homes.

The dining room "before" and  a work in progress

I will make this pretty!

In order to update the set, white leather chairs with nail head trim (in the transitional scoop style) were purchased.  The set of old chairs will get new seats (also in white leather), and be stored away and brought out for large dinner parties.

I must use the china cabinet, and I cannot paint it. It will be moved to a non focal point wall, and I will restyle the inside in a more modern way, combining collections, and not just using it to display glassware and china.

I will style the china cabinet combing the homeowners  collections

The jobs I get like this are the most challenging and rewarding in many ways. I respect the homeowners love for their things, and their desire to update. It's very easy to to throw it all away and start over with an open ended budget. But I reckon, this type of job is the bread and butter of most designers, decorators, and designers, whether you are doing it for yourself or you call in professional help.

Stay tuned for more on this project...And do tell us how you deal with updating a china cabinet!

In the meantime here's a round up of ideas culled from the internet. So much talent out there!





Amazing DIY from Southern Exposure

Eddie Ross


Clever use in the kitchen

Eddie Ross

Eddie Ross

Eddie Ross truly the king of china cabinets!

Eddie Ross

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower

6 comments:

  1. So many cool pieces! I can't wait to see what you do with your client's piece.

    My mama just took an old china cabinet and painted over the natural wood. She went all white and it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished dining room as I am currently in the same process. You have such a gift for taking the old and making it new again, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your choices so far. I think it really must be a challenge, but certainly there are pieces in my home that I couldn't part with and may not necessarily want to paint, so it truly is a challenge to a designer. I've read that the colour of 2012 is orange, and I'm dying to do something with it, but my house is really not anywhere near "orange". Good luck, anxious to see what the finished creation will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I updated our china cabinet by turning it into a mini-library. It now holds vintage books, and interesting items like my wedding hankie that is in a frame, some vintage crystal wine stoppers in a silver bowl, a few wooden boxes, a glass orb from the garden, some Japanese fishing floats, etc. It is varied and interesting, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had the space to use a china cabinet! You will make the best of it! I know! Can't wait to see the results!
    Why, in heaven's name do they not want to paint it???? (I can imagine the answers...)
    Do you feel spring in the air?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am, gasp, a fan of the occassional piece of brown furniture. I'm updating my alder china cabinet by adding turquoise & gold paper in the back and then adding new hardware with turquoise ceramic accents. Excited to get it done -- I'll send pics!

    Also, speaking of Eddie, if anyone wants to fill their china cabinet with newly found old treasures, he's hosting some more of his famous flea market gatherings -- I've gone with him and it's a blast!

    ReplyDelete