Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Circle Game

Who would think that circle paintings would start such a fuss? I got a ton of private emails regarding the I Heart Karina Gentinetta post.

I am the Circle Queen!
There are many. many swell and gracious Southern women I know and love, and who have been very good to me, the damn Yankee interloper. And then there is a group of women here in New Orleans that still think they are in a college sorority akin to what I call the Southern Belle Mafia.

And I am the Circle King and the rest of y'all are copy cats
A certain person called upon her sisters to shun and intimidate the person who dared to paint circles on a drop cloth. There were hate emails and boycotting of the drop cloth painter's shop in New Orleans. She eventually closed it rather than take the hate.
The drop cloth that dropped a ton of hate
How could one know that an eleventh hour DIY project would cause such a stink. The NY Times called without much notice, to do an article about a house, a home very much unfinished with bare walls. So that's how the infamous drop cloth was whipped up for the photo shoot.

Don't hate me because I make beautiful circles
Anyway, in the spirit of fun, and to lighten things up, I am showing you a ton of circle images. It seems it has been a very popular motif since the cave man or cave woman drew on the walls. And it still is. But only in New Orleans.


Another ancient cave drawing

Stop thief! A rubbing taken from a cave drawing

Cave drawing on a rock - Was the cave artist named Keith?

School children in Paris with their paintings of the two hot design trends that every blogger wants

This will soon be outlawed in schools in Louisiana

A child's circle painting - Don't send the kid hate mail

Kelly Wearstler draws on her cave walls, or did her kids do it?

She obvs stole it from Keith Haring who stole it from a cave man

And Nicole stole it from both of them!

A blogger lifted the idea for her shop

And another blogger swiped it from her

And another blogger in New Orleans stole it from her, although he kept it on the down low from the SBM

Look, I appreciate talent, but sometimes you have to know when to give a painting to a sister who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina.

And as I keep telling you, nothing is original, so take inspiration from the best, and pray you have the talent to pull it off and make it unique because it comes through your experience. Talent is forever. That's what I was taught in art school.

And thank you all for your comments and private emails. I am locking those emails in the vault to be published upon my death in a book called "I've Seen Your Blog and I'm Still Laughing".


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this new blog

15 comments:

  1. OMG!,,, The sisters. can be so Cruella de Ville!, They must be jealous of the talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't get me started about MEAN GIRLS!!!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I´ve just discovered your blog! You show wonderful interiors! I follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman of class would never gutter themselves by a hate campaign on this delightful and talented young woman. Being a female predator has never, and never will be, a woman of class.

    ps-have enjoyed your wonderful & inspiring blog for the past couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Orleans was once a major center for slave traders, riverboat gamblers and desperate souls seeking refuge in absinthe.

    These historic moments of intense pleasure and human suffering haunt the city and lend a peculiar credibility to those who still practice the ancient myth of old time religion and Southern hospitality.

    These days, New Orleans is at once an amusement park of sensuality, and a paradigm of Southern aristocratic elegance.

    No matter the reason for your journey here, you will sense that the spirit of New Orleans has its own things to show you from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave, because you are expected to leave.

    Intelligent, savvy, and free thinking spirits who make the mistake of adopting the city as their own, real soon learn to mind their places as part of the service industry, or face the brunt of Southern hostility for overstaying their welcome.

    With a tongue firmly pressed against your cheek, you placed a fraternal arm around the shoulders of an unexpected victim who saw the greatest weakness of some people being used against her.

    Rest assured that we got your back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those "sorority sister bitches" need to get a life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not from New Orleans, but I do love e city. I'm just wondering where does Amanda Talley play in? Doesn't she deserve some credit here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be misreading the thread, but try to read between the lines Beth.

      "A certain person called upon her sisters to shun and intimidate the person who dared to paint circles on a drop cloth. There were hate emails and boycotting of the drop cloth painter's shop in New Orleans. She eventually closed it rather than take the hate."

      Now you wouldn't be one of those sisters, Beth, would you?

      Delete
    2. No, like I said, I'm not from New Orleans, so I obviously don't know the whole back story here. I am, however, a big fan of Ms. Talley's work.

      Delete
  8. Beth,
    I am a huge fan of Amanda's work too. I support her and refer her business. I have nothing against her whatsoever. But she clearly doesn't own the circle :-)
    Thanks for leaving your comments.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess as a native Californian with our own go with the flow mentality, I don't get the hate. Amanda's work is gorgeous!
    Marie Brady

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, I love you, for saying the things that many are afraid to utter outside their own minds. I'm assuming the first caveman or woman who ever drew the very circle on a cave wall will have a HUGE royalty check due from all the other borrowers/imitators who have profited from this work, retroactively of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! More circles!

    http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1907953

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Anon. I enjoyed the link.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete