Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Incredible Patina Style Of Peterson Moon Yokum

Do you ever wonder what happened to the people you crossed paths with? Peter Yokum spent seven years at The Art Students League in New York in the 1970's. I took classes there then, and also was an artists model there. We were both 26 in 1975.

Peterson Moon Yokum in 1975 - Read a great interview with him that took place then HERE

Yokum, went home to New Orleans, and little did I know back then that I would end up living here some 25 years later.

The front parlor with the amazing ceiling - and a mantelpiece with a Napoleonic style. 'The Smithsonian wanted to buy this from my grandaddy because of this highly intricately carved honeycomb and bee design," Yokum said. As a stylist I would have removed the fan before a photo of this gorgeous room was taken

A closer look at the Napoleonic fireplace mantle

His family home, a grand Creole townhouse (and believed to be the oldest house in New Orleans) called Casa Hinard in one part and Case Hove in another, is legendary. It is a study in the beauty of patina style bar none. Often rented out for Hollywood movies always on the condition that nothing can be changed.
The Creole home of Peter Yokum is the oldest house in New Orleans - The building is of "significant historical and architectural value, " said a spokesman for the Williams Research Center of The Historic New Orleans Collection. There are plenty of conflicting dates, stories and theories as to when what was built and who owned it at what time, but "absent any records that may have been burned, it is a possibility" that a portion of the structure dates to the 1720s".
There are so many generations of treasures in this house, including paintings by his mother, Rita Hovey-King, a Newcomb College graduate who used her maiden name on her work. "She was a helluva painter, " he said. The shop on the ground floor of the house that fronts Toulouse Street, was once the Hove perfume shop, which she ran after she took the business over from her mother. And long before that, it was a gunsmith's shop. Now you can find Yokum's art gallery on the first floor

The door to Casa Hove via

Take a look at a round up of images of this incredible patina style.

The front gates opening to the porte cochere and courtyard, called The Money Gates because they came off the old US Mint, and are said to bring good luck to those who rub them - The original gates were melted down to make bullets during the Civil War
Fan light windows have original hand rolled glass

The dining room with old plaster walls that have not been repainted for hundreds of years

Some of Peter Yokum's art - When he was interviewed at age 26 he said he likes to paint  "Faces, nudes, landscapes, still lifes, anything that's pretty, anything that moves me, anything that I feel is worth capturing." I wonder if he has any paintings of me from the 1970's ha ha

Talk about art in the kitchen! I wish there were a larger photo so we could see the old porcelain sink and vintage stove - I love the way the small brass desk lamp is used as a picture light

Old family treasures, art work, and an old brick wall make for a perfect patina style vignette - Yokum makes his own paint colors, he says "It was taught to me by my instructor, Frank Mason, at the New York City Art Students League. He calls it the Maroger medium." The Art Students League was the place to study classical painting, with the methods of the old masters taught  to students. When I was there I learned what rabbit skin glue was, and all about painting with glazes.

Peter Moon Yokum in his studio - He also plays music - "I got a little group. We drink a little liquor, get all fired up and play some music, make some noise, " Yokum said.

Peter Yokum in his courtyard - "Everything's intact. I don't want to mess with anything, " he said. "Cypress railing, I don't care if it's chewed up, me. I'm going to keep this old cypress railing. Cypress basically lasts forever. These posts are all original. Wouldn't change anything until I don't have another option, and even then I'll try to go get the old stuff."

Some images from Our Louisiana Magazine. Sadly they do not have the story on line. But read these two fascinating articles one from Nola.com HERE, and one from the interview with Peter Yokum when he was 26.

And vote for Jenny today HERE


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this new blog

3 comments:

  1. Hove Parfumeur named a scent after him called Petersen M, a patchouli/vetiver blend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always happy that you share beautiful Old New Orleans with us. I don't think I'll ever get there, but thank you so much. What wonderful history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of a wonderful building. Peter and Nicky used to play/fight with my little brother Gus Kennedy when we had an apartment on Prytania St in the late 1950's. His mother painted a picture of me as a teenager - at least she started one. I don't remember seeing it finished. If I remember correctly, she painted several kids in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete