Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Julia Birthday Menu

I learned to cook from Julia Child. Or maybe I should say I learned to cook a more sophisticated menu then the basic one I learned from my mother. In the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's home cooking revolved around "easy" and convenience. It was meant to free the housewife. Open a can, heat up a frozen dinner, or whip up something from a Kraft TV recipe was what it was about. I'm not saying that we didn't eat well, or have wholesome tasty meals that didn't come out of a can, but it was not the wonderful French cooking Julia Child brought to America.

Some favorites that Julia Child taught us to cook

As a young bride of 18, I was so proud to make the first French dishes that Julia taught me to do on her television show. I made Quiche Lorraine. I learned how to cook asparagus with Hollandaise sauce I made in a blender.  I prepared Boeuf Bourguignon.  I made Coq au vin.  I learned that a cheese course could be dessert. I drank Kir Royals. I learned about wine and good French bread, and how a green salad could be delicious with a home made vinaigrette. I learned that cooking could be fun and exciting and sexy.

I think I'll fix myself a Kir Royal and toast Julia!


Saveur Magazine has put together a fabulous menu to celebrate what would have been Julia Child's 100th birthday. It features some Julia classics, and I suggest you go check it out, and perhaps make it for dinner this week.

Bon appetit!

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time)




9 comments:

  1. How sad that the so-called "Cooking Channel" has stopped showing Julia as well as Mario Batali and Sarah Moulton. How sad that "Gourmet" is dead, as well. I fear that soon cookbooks will be obsolete. I went to an estate sale yesterday here in Nashville that had two hundred cookbooks for sale. 5 years ago there would have been a free for all getting to those books. I was one of only 2 people looking through them yesterday.
    I think these days that most people eat out or seek recipes on the Internet.
    How I wish PBS would show Julia again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! But let's do our part to keep cookbooks around. What's your favorite Julia thing to cook?
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beef Bourguignon and Quiche, though I take liberties with the latter! I made one the other day with poblanos and corn. I think Julia would have approved, for as she grew older she seemed more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookbooks and still buy them. I also look up recipes on the Internet. Happy Birthday, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love leafing through an old and wise cookbook! My fave Julia dish is chicken breasts with mushrooms and cream...

    and YES to Kir royale's!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore cookbooks! Because I'm usually short on time, I use them mostly for Sunday suppers & special occasions. Julia Child's Coq au Vin is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fave is the food processor pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you believe my husband bought me a Dutch Oven Pot form The Lodge for the Beef Bourginon? It came out soooo delicious my family fought for the pot and the last loaf of fresh baked bread. We "shmeared" the life out of the sauce in the pot. For dessert- golden poundcake that weighed at least five pounds-lots of eggs, butter, sour cream,etc.. with raspberry filling and whipped cream frosting. Roasted chicken and vegetables to go with the main dish-more butter and a splash of wine. Oh yes- we did Julia really well-Happy Birthday to our Julia. Pass the butter please. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished up a three-week trip to France ( a week of it was in Paris). I read the new book "Dearie" while I was there and actually went to Rue de L'Universite to check out where she lived. She was quite the character!!!

    ReplyDelete