Monday, May 6, 2013

I'm A Sucker For Seersucker

The official kick off to seersucker season starts this Friday, May 10 with a huge fun party hosted by the Ogden. It signals the time of year to get out the seersucker for the hot summer ahead.


Here in New Orleans people could build a house out of seersucker. Before I moved here I didn't give seersucker much thought. I had a seersucker suit Norma Kamali designed in the 80s, and I bought it then because I thought it was quirky and amusing to wear a fabric I associated with baby clothes.

I thought seersucker was for babies - Here in New Orleans seersucker love starts early - Get this HERE

I began to see grown men wearing seersucker suits here in summertime New Orleans. And they were not going to a costume party, or making a quirky fashionista statement. They were carrying briefcases and serious faces. Then I heard about a party called Sippin' in Seersucker, that made total sense to me as I acclimated to local customs.

The gents in New Orleans rock seersucker

Seersucker originates from the Persian words "shir o shekar," meaning "milk and sugar", a resemblance of the smooth and rough stripes to the smooth surface of milk and bumpy texture of sugar. It is the perfect fabric. It doesn't wrinkle, it comes in great colors, and it is cool (temperature and attitude wise).

So here's a round up of seersucker love. I have to get something to wear. Maybe I'll shop the boys department at K & B for shrunken suit look ala Brad Goreski. The prices at K & B are a bargain, especially in the boys department.

Brad Goreski styled this for GQ

It is not so far fetched to think we in New Orleans would upholster the furniture in seersucker


Maybe I'll whip up a seersucker rosette for Friday night

Ahhhh - Seersucker bedding is so refreshing - I love the orange for mod fresh look Get it HERE

A seersucker evening gown - How divine!

Of course we use it for table linens

Love these seersucker napkins! Get them HERE

Seersucker lifestyle created by NOLA girls Jolie and Elizabeth

YES!  A seersucker koozie! Get it HERE - You know you want it!

Julie and Elizabeth put the sexy in seersucker

Geeky sexy seersucker swimsuit - Both J, Crew and Old Navy did a version

Love these hot color seersucker drapes - Sadly discontinued from Curtainworks

You can get seersucker pillows HERE

Seersucker shower curtain - How fab! Get it HERE

This is a DIY idea for all your crafty girls

Some nice seersucker outfits to inspire you for Friday night

The Ogden Museum Sippin' in Seersucker


And here's the info for Friday night Sippin' In Seersucker (the most important fund raiser for the fabulous Ogden Museum). See you there!!!!

The Details:
When: Friday, May 10, 2012, 6 pm. to 9 p.m.
Where: The Shops at Canal Place, 333 Canal St., New Orleans
Dress: Summer cocktail; Seersucker, preferred!
Entertainment: Bonerama; Luke Winslow-King
Contest: Best seersucker ensembles—the winners get a special prize!
   Guest Judges: Trixie Minx and L. Kasimu Harris
Raffle: Deluxe packages include Entertainment, Fashion, Wine, Indulgence, “Be a Tourist in Your Own Hometown,” and Kohlmeyer Circle Art. Tickets are $5 a ticket, or $20 for 5 tickets.
Food: A stellar line-up of restaurants! As of 4/22/2013: Baker Maid, Booty’s Street Food, Chiba,


Hover over any image to Pin it.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

5 comments:

  1. A favorite professor at Stephens College rocked a seersucker suit once spring came round. So did a not-so-favorite former beau, but I'd need to be sipping something strong to tell those stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to live in New Orleans! Looks like fun.....
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore seersucker and was just talking about how much so this past weekend at The Southern C Summit in Jekyll Island so much so I have been working on a post about seersucker myself. You beat me to the punch but I shall still do my post because it is a little different slant! Loved this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was just an article - seems some senator wants to ban seersucker, can you imagine taking it out on poor seersucker. I think it was on Huffington Post. You will die reading it.
    pve

    ReplyDelete