Thursday, April 3, 2014

Brian Boitano Decorator

It's two months today since Alberto is gone. I have been keeping busy. Each little milestone like today is hard. Let's face it, every day without Alberto is hard. So many of you are going through the same thing of missing someone you love. My heart goes out to you.

In the spirit of keeping busy, I am trying to do more decor posts. Back to the new normal.

Brian Boitano goes back to his roots in Italy to renovate a ruin of a family home

A few weeks ago I chanced on an HGTV show called The Brian Boitano Project. From HGTV: "On a recent vacation to the old country, Olympic figure skater Brian Boitano discovered his Italian family, and the town his relatives migrated from. He also discovered, and ultimately purchased an old family home in desperate need of repair."

The house was a more like a ruin with some old family furniture. The Italy Boitanos really didn't know their famous American relative, and it is sweet and funny to watch the bonds of family connect. One funny episode involved two aunts selling Brian the furniture in the house. He was very excited about this, not only for the sentimental value, but also for the help it would be with his limited budget. He went back to the USA after making the initial plans to renovate, and when he returned to Italy to work on the project found that the aunties had taken all the furniture. Something was definitely lost in the transaction.

The show aired in January. It was hard to find. Then there was a marathon of episodes on the sister channel DIY Network one Saturday. I wish HGTV would stop all the House Hunter spin offs and the constant rerunning of them and get back to more shows like The Brian Boitano Project.

Enjoy this round-up of images I culled from the Internet.

The kitchen before

The kitchen and dining area after - Brian spray painted the chairs lacquer green at his uncle's auto body shop

The chandelier was made from a huge wind jug that was found on the property - a fixture from Ikea was put inside the glass

Installing the wine jug chandelier



So cute



All the walls were washed with color to maintain an antique patina

The master bedroom

Detail of nightstand

Little niches were carved into the walls all through the house

The master bath

A vintage table was used for the sink base and old stone was left revealed

Another bedroom - Brian shopped at the local Ikea


Ikea pillow

Another great bathroom using ordinary fixtures to maximum effect and anotherr great exposed stone wall


Another niche cut into the stone


Another cute bedroom

I love these niches all over the house

And another great little bathroom

Old shutter hardware

Brian Boitano did a great job renovating his new villa in Italy


And please indulge me....

Beautiful Alberto

15 comments:

  1. Bless your heart....and thanks for alerting us (me) to this lovely place. I especially like the wide-planked floors and the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to reinvent a wine jug with the ikea light fixture. I love the textures and colors on the walls. What a charming photo of Alberto!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post. Be blessed during this time. XO to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew this show was on but missed it and I don't have DIY Network. Can't afford the extra channels. I rarely watch HGTV. So sick of House Hunters. I think Brian did a fabulous job on the renovation. I don't know about a limited budget....check out that stove! I started a new job two weeks ago. I'm selling furniture at a big furniture store in town. I'm doing it strictly for the money. It should be good...and I'm doing well so far. I did a post yesterday on my favorite pieces in the store right now. There are lots of things that I wouldn't want in my house but I'm just pretending to be each of my customers personal designer and guide them on the right choices even if the store has many things I think are a waste of money. We have things that I think are good to buy too and attractive. There are all price points. I tried desperately to get a man to buy a nice dresser over the $350 dresser that was a piece of junk. I try to push the solid wood. The stuff designed by cool companies but you just can't help some people.

    I adore that photo of Alberto! How handsome he is standing under that pink parasol!

    Oh..I watched Twelve Years a Slave the other night and saw your friend Bryan Batt in it...that was a surprise.

    Hope you are doing ok. Glad to see you posting decor posts. I know how hard it is. You feel know joy in it. That is how I felt for a long time but I just did it because I didn't want to lose something I'd enjoyed. And in time...I found pleasure in it again.

    The last time someone died that I loved....I was so mad I declared I was not going down into that dark crevice again. I've spent too much of my life in a dark place because of loss. But it's easy to say and so hard to do.

    Love you very much....wish I was there and we could just talk and you could share all about Alberto with me. He just radiates love and bright happy things. I can see why you loved him so much. You are lucky to have that. Someone that lit up when they saw you each time. I had that with my Dad. My cousin (who I lost two years ago) told me once she was always so jealous of me and my Dad's relationship because she said his face lit up when I would come in a room or talk. Her own father didn't pay attention to her and she craved his attention.

    I wish we'd known that long ago. If my Dad had known he would have made an effort to make her feel special. It's hard to be left when the person that made you feel special is gone.

    Hang in there............

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful and colorful photo of Alberto! Only a fellow as soigné as he could add a matching umbrella. All the best- M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photo of Alberto. There stands a man who was infinitely loved...and he knew it. It shines forth from him.

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A happy to read your post, but most of all that photo...the colors, that smile. You should have someone do a painting from it, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with Andi, Bonnie, and Michele about this wonderful portrait of Alberto. Completely agree with you about the difficulty of finding the Brian Boitano project and like you , I LOVED the series and wish that HGTV would give this show more air time . Caught Brian on Rachel Ray this morning and wanted to leap into the screen and pester him about possibly undertaking another project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Love to paint that home and Alberto. So often it is in the years, or amidst the ruins we begin to truly appreciate the patina and the treasures we cherish most. I am so delighted that you are finding solace in the things you love while you hang on tight to all the love around you and in your soul. I think it is not in moving forward but reflecting that we are able to carry on. My heart is with you.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thinking about you as you find your new normal and know that it is not easy. It is wonderful to enjoy beauty like this and I think it does help with soothing our souls. I loved seeing what he has done and will be trying to find the show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your life with Alberto was a crowning design, and I am interested in every word and picture you graciously share with us of your life together. Beautiful memories go hand in hand with a well designed love and life. Keeping you close in thought and prayer for strength and comfort in this new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh it is so very charming. i must try to find this episode to watch.

    peace to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I agree - I am so tired of HGTV, haven't watched in years! But this does sound good, I love what they are doing with this great old house in Italy.

    I have always thought you can tell a lot about a person just by looking at their face. Alberto truly does look like such a special man, it just comes through and it also comes through that you two had something very special, very unique...soul mates. I can't imagine how much you miss him. His love is what will pull you through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valerie,
    I watched in awe every eposide on HGTV, rustic and low cost - but savvy minded and ultimaly chic.
    It's been 5 months since my son passed suddenly and I still have my meltdowns where I cry a river but I too am trying to find joy in everyday and am thankful for the 41 years I enjoyed with my son.
    Sending my healing wishes to you.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Alberto indeed. Always happy to see and read what you share, always a heart to indulge you, Valorie. Warmth and hugs from Carey.

    No design is closer to my heart than Mediterranean shore and country. Boitano's remodel of his family's home is well done. Warm, tasteful, true to its time and place. I love it.

    ReplyDelete