Monday, June 30, 2014

Pools, Porches, Patios

Summer is here in full force. New Orleans Homes & Lifestyles has devoted their whole current issue to Summer. This is our local shelter magazine, and I think many of you would love to get it, so go ahead and subscribe. Locals can pick it up around town, at Helm Paint, Le Blvd., and other places that sell home furnishings.



Sara Essex Bradley and I had a blast shooting this story. Nine or so homes were scouted, and a lot of them made the final editorial cut. My aim in producing this story was to show the wide gamut of how people decorate their outdoor spaces, and as usual the people in New Orleans have a very distinct, and I think beautiful and exciting viewpoint.

Elegance - this incredible spa setting is in New Orleans

Sleeping porch in New Orleans

A classic front porch in New Orleans

A front porch with a twist - classic white wicker with Trina Turk fabric on the cushions

My patio - indoors is outdoors in my own quirky way - My majolica plate collection has moved outdoors, and the cushions were recovered in Chinoiserie toile (an outdoor fabric by Waverly)

Lots of old brick floors are in many New Orleans courtyards - Can you tell how much Sara and I love to have the family dog (or cat) in the shot - I say it makes a space more human

Fabulous funky party time patio in New Orleans

I styled an alfresco dining table in New Orleans with the home owners bunny rabbits
You can go online to see more New Orleans Homes & Lifestyles, "Backyard Bliss".
But really you need to go get the magazine and see the gorgeous full size photos. We have an awesome art director and editor!

What have you done new this year for your pool, porch, patio, (balcony)?

4 comments:

  1. Your back patio looks fabulous along with the nicely designed alfresco table not to leave out the sleeping porch! Such variety in New Orleans where the unique is becoming the norm. Nice job Valorie and Sara! Linda of the WB

    ReplyDelete
  2. as soon as I saw your patio I thought it had the most NO style and then I read it was yours! Of course! Last summer we ripped out our dried out wood deck that extended into the yard and replaced it with a flagstone patio. This spring we removed the weed infested flower beds and put in grass. Our yard space doubled in size and looks much cleaner.--JT in TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of work on the back deck... Not sure I'll get it all done this year, but that's half the fun is it's evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using those plates for outdoor décor? Awesome!!! -Carey


    ReplyDelete