Friday, July 25, 2014

Orange IS The New Black

"Orange offers emotional strength in difficult times. It helps us to bounce back from disappointments and despair, assisting in recovery from grief."

"The color orange radiates warmth and happiness, combining the physical energy and stimulation of red with the cheerfulness of yellow. Orange relates to 'gut reaction' or our gut instincts, as opposed to the physical reaction of red or the mental reaction of yellow." from Color Psychology

My living room - Orange "helps us to bounce back from disappointments and despair, assisting in recovery from grief."

I have always loved the color orange from soft apricots, to a clear clean orange, to neon, to muted harvest oranges...well you get the picture. It is perfect to use in any dose you choose, from an accent color up to the main event. 

Use an orange throw if you just want a little accent of it

I use orange in my bedroom as an accent color

I did a product pick on Houzz that made it to the Houzz home page and it struck a chord. I posted a ton of cute affordable stuff in orange. Go check it out, Keep Your Eyes Peeled for Orange.

Here are some images to get you going with orange. If you are an orange lover, tell us how you use it!


Very pretty and trad use of orange in a bedroom, and some vintage elements mixed in
I am so doing this color block idea next time I paint a chair

Mod, retro, Mid Century Modern is where orange rules!

Orange taffeta drapes look wonderful - I tell you where to buy affordable ones at Houzz - this is a room I did for a client

The softest of oranges in this bedroom

Orange drapes in a contemporary room with a mix of antiques and modern art

Pop in an orange lamp or bedding or toss pillows - go to Houzz to see some I found for you



9 comments:

  1. I love orange. I did a hutch painted orange:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/160093816/groovy-hutch-china-cabinet-bookcase-or?ref=shop_home_active_6
    That color is so intriguing. I love that you put it with green, too. You should post more. I love your photos and your space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge forever orange lover! Alas, I only wear it. I have never decorated with it, although with an upcoming family room redo, that is going to change this fall. I cannot wait. Your home is just gorgeous with its orange. Love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bright and BIG orange leather chesterfield! Makes the entire house glow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have a few orange accents in my home and my kitchen is a burnt orange with white cabinets. My Aunt loved orange and had mid century modern furniture in her city apartment, very hip then and now! Love those color block chairs too!--JT in TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post, it explains why I adore all orange tones.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge fan of orange; glad to see posts that highlight it!
    Xx

    Kaizen Fashion Project

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a splash of orange! Although I can't help but remember the orange shag carpet of my youth!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange. When it's good it's very, very good and when it's bad it's horrid.

    After living through the 60s & 70's, I couldn't face orange for a very long time. Then I took Design 1 (the principles of visual design) where we mixed our own paint colors. When I stirred together yellow and magenta paint in my little plastic portion cup for the first time, and watched the most perfect orange appear before my eyes, I was enchanted. I LOVE how you've used it in your home, Valorie. and how it's been used in the other examples you've collected to share here. -Carey

    p.s. Happy belated birthday for last month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been a fan of orange, and I'm one of the few people who can wear orange and not look sickly. Yellow? I don't dare! But as a good southerner, I have to be careful where I wear it due to football rivalries!

    ReplyDelete