Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I Heart Eva Zeisel Life, Design, And Beauty

I became aware of Eva Zeisel when I was in art school. She was one of those legendary teachers that taught at Pratt before my time. Then my friends, the ceramists, Philip Maberry and Scott Walker talked about having met her, and showed me some treasured small pieces of hers that they had acquired.

Eva Zeisel designed this set of china - photo by Sara Essex Bradley

Over the years of her long life (she lived and worked until she was 105) I would see her wares. I never owned any of her designs, but always kept my eye out when I'd be in vintage shops. Yes she made things for Crate and Barrel, and many other modern outlets, but I was more attracted to vintage wares.

The sensuous undulating curves of Meito Norleans Midas china designed by Eva Zeisel

A few months ago I came across a set of china designed by Eva Zeisel circa 1949-1950. It was found at one of my favorite shopping haunts, Caravan Finds right here in New Orleans. They had a dazzling set of Meito china.

Caravan Finds - the china is hanging on the wall in the last picture on the right - You can also find Caravan on One Kings Lane


You could get a 101 piece set of Eva Zeisel Meito Norleans Midas for $69.95 in 1954

Meito is a Japanese company that partnered with United China and Glass Company (founded in New Orleans in 1830) to commission sets of affordable dinnerware  exported to the United States in the post WWII years. The result was the Norleans line designed by Eva Zeisel.

The curved handles are very much like the curves of the iron work in New Orleans - I used trendy CAKE Chrome Gnome salt and pepper shakers made in 2007 - mine are gold and look great with the Zeisel vintage china

Eva actually spent time in New Orleans, and her Meito Norleans line was very much influenced by what she saw here.  Eva tells us, "A Mr. Stolaroff (side note - he was the vice president of the company)  asked me to design a set for Meito in Japan...He asked me to go to New Orleans...I remember taking a boat to the tip of the Delta...I photographed many wrought iron crosses in graveyards."

Many sets of Mid Century Modern china sported the wheat pattern - but none were as beautiful as the one Eva Zeisel designed for Meito, and none would match the price - The set in this vintage ad  had 53 pieces for $59.90, and the far more beautiful Zeisel Meito Norleans Midas had 101 pieces selling for $69.95 in 1954!

The Norleans line was a hit at the 1950 design shows. In 1954 the American housewife could buy a 101 piece set of this beautiful porcelain for only $69.95! And she also got lagniappe - six extra teacups and a teapot! Even today, in comparison with other vintage china, Norleans is a very affordable collectible.

The plates and bowls feature a wide rim - The napkin is Trina Turk Palm Springs Block

The set I am showing is called Meito Norleans Midas. I love the soft color of the gilding, and of course the curves, both on the handles, and on the undulating rims of the pieces, which are classic Eva Zeisel motifs. The pillow top lid on the sugar bowl is a form that became known as the iconic Eva Zeisel belly button design.

The lid on the sugar bowl is very much like Eva Zeisel's "baby's bottom design" which is in the same vein as her iconic "belly button" design - The candlesticks are by Paul Loebach

The wheat pattern was a very popular motif in Mid Century Modern china made in Japan. I have another set called Eternal Wheat done by Crestwood China and also made in Japan. The Crestwood wheat design is far more delicate. It's pretty, but it cannot compare with the oomph and verve of the Eva Zeisel design.

Eva Zeisel with one of the rugs she designed for The Rug Company - note her iconic belly button design

Eva Zeisel just passed away in 2011. She worked until the end of her life. She not only designed ceramics, but also designed a rug collection for The Rug Company, and furniture for Design Within Reach. One day when I am have some extra cash, I would love to have the coffee table she did for DWR.

One day I will get this Eva Zeisel coffee table

Eva Zeisel with her cut out pattern for the design of the coffee table base she did for Design Within Reach

I was inspired by her cutting out paper patterns for the coffee table she designed,  so I cut out some letters spelling her name and hung them on the chandelier - this photo by Valorie Hart

There is new book about Eva Zeisel due out any moment, called "Eva Zeisel: Life, Design, and Beauty" by Pat Moore (Author) , Pirco Wolfframm (Author) , Pat Kirkham (Editor) , Brent C. Brolin (Photographer), Eva Zeisel (Introduction).

Eva Zeisel: Life, Design, and Beauty

Eva Zeisel was a Hungarian-born American industrial designer known for her work with ceramics, primarily from the period after she immigrated to the United States. Her forms are often abstractions of the natural world and human relationships. Work from throughout her prodigious career is included in important museum collections across the world. Zeisel declared herself a "maker of useful things"

Young Eva Zeisel a maker of useful things

 Go HERE to see this touching video clip of Eva Zeisel

I pre-ordered the book. It not only has her amazing life story, but tons of new photos of her work and snapshots from her amazing life. If you are a fan of Eva Zeisel this is a book you will love, enjoy, and treasure. And I think it's an important volume for every design book library.

Eva Zeisel never stopped working

Loving New Orleans as much as I do, paired with loving Eva Zeisel, and added to that my love for beautiful vintage and antique china, you can just imagine how I am thrilled to have and to hold this extraordinary collection of Meito Norleans Midas china.

Cholo under the table set with Eva Zeisel china - photo by Sara Essex Bradley

All the lovely photos in my dining room were taken by Sara Essex Bradley. I styled a table setting combining Eva's vintage china with current items. I love her designs and think they are timeless and cross all eras gracefully (much like Eva did in her lifetime). What kind of vintage china do you love and collect?


Hover over any image to Pin it
Please add my NEW address to your blog list: http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

9 comments:

  1. It's so amazing how gifted some people are. Like you. Thank you for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have 1 piece of her work.

    Discovered her at the family lake house I married into during the 80's. A guest from the 50's sent a thank you gift of her tea set. OMG. It sat lonely on a late Victorian shelf looking stuffed with energy.

    Followed her since. Looking forward to the book.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just found a great EZ platter at a thrift shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom registered for the Hallcraft Fantasy pattern when she was married in 1955. It was the special china used for all of our family holiday gatherings, timeless design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I will be paying more attention now when I'm on the hunt for treasures!
    Sharon
    @novaraway

    ReplyDelete
  6. This lovely comment is from the daughter of Eva Zeisel that came to me via email - It is amazing who reads my humble blog. Needless to say, I am very touched...

    Valorie,
    Thank you so much for the lovely blog about my mother. We have only a very few pieces of the Meito set so it was nice to see the whole thing. I would say the lid is more like a baby's bottom (another inspiration) than a belly button. But both are good! I remember going to New Orleans with my mother, but it must have been a later trip. Wanted to give you the sad news that the two people dancing are not my parents. It was a bit ambiguous in the original film. They are strangers. By the way, Have you seen her last two designs? Lamps for Leucos Lighting, Leucosusa/eva zeisel collection. And Eva flatware at Crate and Barrel.
    She would have been so pleased to see your blog.
    Jean Richards

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing.! Still love all of the video of which I went immediately to. Had to share it as it was so touching! Your table with the dinnerware is beautiful and Cholo is solo cute! Lol...Linda of TWB.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely woman and all the beauty that she created !
    I have been lucky to be able to save some pieces from my great grandmother and my mother in law, all English China and some nice crystal, also some Limoge, some Bavarian china and beautiful old tea cups that are almost transparent. I won't drink out of them for fear of breaking one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post and letter from her daughter - you must be sky high! I especially appreciated your comment about MCM dishes with wheat patterns. Our "good china" growing up featured wheat; I think mom may have picked it up piece by piece, week by week at Kroger or Safeway That's how a lot of families pulled it off in the 1950s & 60s, wasn't it

    ReplyDelete