Friday, September 4, 2009

Farewell Dominick Dunne

Dominick Dunne with Elizabeth Taylor in 1973

From the Dominick Dunne web site HERE:

We are sad to report the news that Dominick Dunne passed away on Wednesday, 26th August, at the age of 83 at his home in New York City, after a long and brave battle with cancer.

His funeral service will be held on Thursday, September 10th, at 2:30pm
at St. Vincent Ferrer Catholic Church
865 Lexington Avenue, between 65th and 66th streets,
New York, New York.

In lieu of flowers, Dominick's family has requested that donations be made to:
The National Center for the Victims of Crime
2000 M Street NW
Suite 480
Washington DC 20036



Dominick Dunne had an extraordinary life as a man, and was a writer and reporter extraordinaire.


These photos from Architectural Digest are of his home in Connecticut. Go HERE to see more photos and read a very nice article.


It is homey and it looks very much like the homes of the people he chronicled.


Certain things like skirted tables, Chinoiserie, antiques, and English print fabric are classics often seen in homes of the upper class.


Everything has a patina of age and use. Elegance and good taste are implied and applied.

I love this photo of his office.



This house is only 25 years old, but looks much older.


The Dominick Dunne web site is very informative, and worth checking out if you would like to know more.

11 comments:

  1. Amazing home! And you are right, looks much older than it is. He seemed to be a good man, a nice person... a person of substance.

    I will miss seeing new interviews with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely dwelling!
    I'd love to sit on that porch with a book in my lap. Something I would bet Mr. Dunne did often. So sorry he is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He will be sorely and terribly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was SO sad to hear he died. I discovered his novels in the late '90s and couldn't put them down. And of course I read his articles in VF. I think I need to get some of his books out again and revisit them.

    Wonderful to see photos of his house. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the name but was not familiar with his career. Nevertheless, someone's, anyone's, passing gives me pause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, you have the most fabulously wonderful site here and I had to leave this comment for you ! Your posts are beautifully written, creative and original too, and you have interesting pictures.

    It's all perfect !

    Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes.... 'Happy September'....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never missed reading his articles, I shall miss his wonderful writing.....Have a great weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  8. * He was a gentleman, first and foremost, and he had a cause~~~ I could never look at him without feeling just a small PORTION of the pain he lived with, everday, at the tragic loss of his daughter.

    His home is as lovely, warm and genuinely "kind" as I think he truly was...

    He will be missed. I'm glad he was HERE, tho.

    Linda in AZ *

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know Dominick Dune but I'll check out the website!

    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr.Dunne and I love that you tagged his house as aged beyond years...like fine gourmet fromage or a vintage wine. I think I shall use that as my tag line.... I look much older than I am...
    Life goes far too fast to count.
    pve

    ReplyDelete