Monday, January 16, 2012

Designer Bikes, Yes or No?

I have been wanting a bike for the past couple of years, not a motorcycle, but an old fashion pedal bike. When I spend time in Key West with Michael Pelkey, we ride around town night and day on beach bikes, those faded cruisers often personalized with a home made paint job. I also have fond memories of Danilo riding me on his handlebars late at night to the New York City disco Area. We'd "pull up" alongside the limos and a doorman would take Danilo's bike and stash it in the coat room, and wave us in past the ubiquitous velvet ropes.

I love the new crop of designer bikes that have come out lately. Here are a few to consider.


Missoni bike at Target - You can still get it!  $399.

City Bike from C. Wonder - $249.

My favorite! At Wal Mart only $89.99! They are out of stock online, but I have seen it and lusted after it at my local Wal Mart. LOVE the aqua accents and the black and white damask print! I would love to ride around town on this for sure!

No post about bikes would be complete without a picture of Audrey Hepburn riding her bike! I would love to get a basket for my bike and ride Cholo around! I wonder if he would let me do it?!


Did you know that the bicycle was a very important aspect to woman's liberation? It was an equal opportunity modern way of transport that was embraced by women in the Victorian and Edwardian era, affording them a freedom to move around under their own power and on their own.

The bicycle gave women freedom

Another acquaintance, Pryor Dodge has an amazing collection of antique bicycles that he exhibits in museums around the world. He first pointed out to me the profound effect the bicycle had for women.


Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower

3 comments:

  1. My husband gave me an over-the-top bike last fall:

    http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/cruiser-gypsy-bikes-ladies-154112

    I love it - and now even feel more liberated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all surprisingly affordable VV.
    I like the Target/Missoni one, but yes I can
    picture you zooming around on the Walmart option.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know I love bicycles...these are great for tooling around town...I have to say for me I prefer my skinny tire racer! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete