Monday, October 29, 2012

I Wish I Could Sew

Brick House Fabrics is a wonderful site for getting fabrics you cannot find anywhere else. And they don't think I am just another pretty face HERE.

They have a wonderful section called Postcards where their customers send in photos of their projects.

This fabric from Brick House is killer

I had shown you a fun retro style fabric from Brick House Fabric. I envisioned covering walls with it, or maybe some toss pillows. But one of their customers, Sabina had another thought bubble.

Look at the jacket Sabina made!

It's a funny coincidence that I have dear friend named Sabina too! She is also a pretty great home sewer, and I can't help but think of her when I see the work of the Brick House Sabina.

How many of you are blessed with sewing skills? What do you make for your homes? Want to share some photos with us all? Email them to me mizvtheb@yahoo.com and I'll post them.

I actually only had one Home Economics class in my formative years. I was a little snooty art major and looked down on the home arts. As the eldest of seven I did enough cooking and cleaning to rival any classroom situation. The one Home Ec class I took was by default. I wanted to take a psychology class, but it was full and the guidance counselor talked me into something called "Family Living", assuring me it was a very social work oriented class, and of course social work was just as good as psychology.  The class was a part of the Home Ec department, and a snooze. But I did gain respect for all those Home Ec majors who could work a sewing machine, a skill I never learned.

Little did I know that I would not become the next DeKooning, Pollack, Krasner, Warhol, or Frankenthaler. Years and years of art school and all I want to do is sew up some drapes or a slip cover. Old eyes and hands and a fear of the sewing machine keeps accomplished tradespeople and friends who sew engaged by me.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time)


No comments:

Post a Comment