Thursday, September 12, 2013

In The Manner Of Noguchi And David Hicks

Sara and I were doing a photo shoot a couple of weeks ago in my dining room, and we moved the table over to get a better image. Hey! We both thought the table would work better moved "forever" to one side. The shotgun house dining room is small and a pass-through, and I have the bruises on my upper thighs to prove that the table took up valuable walkway room with it being in the center of the room.

Valorie Hart dining room Fall 2013

It meant moving the armoire. So I did a major clean out of the office supplies and crap hidden behind those closed doors, and moved the thing into the kitchen (that's another blog post). I fantasized about having built-in banquettes done, but I don't have that kind of cash. So I started a search for an option by using some storage benches to arrange banquette style along two walls.

The armoire got cleaned out and moved! And the chandelier got retired for now

The chandelier had to move from the center of the room, and sadly the in-line design did not allow for the old swag it from the power source trick. I have long loved the Noguchi over size lantern, and thought this would be a good time and place to use it. Luckily, Alberto is an electrical engineer, so swagging the huge (but lightweight) ball over the new dining table spot was easy-peasy. I got out my clipping file of pictures with this style of lantern to show Alberto what I had in mind.

Nakashima Compound by Brian Ferry - Love that stick the lantern is suspended from

Deborah Needleman used the lantern in in her dining room

Mats Gustafson and Ted Muehling used it in their home

The size I want of the Noguchi lantern is over $500. Oh well. So off I go to get dorm room standard issue ha ha. But at 30" in diameter the copy cat Noguchi lantern looks pretty good. You can buy a lantern and a cord kit for under $40. HERE.

I was also so happy to find the storage trucks with a fabric that reminded me so much of the beloved David Hicks La Fiorentina fabric. I wish I could afford the Hicks fabric, but as you know I am content with the look for less if I can't afford the real thing. And I wanted to buy seating off-the-rack.

The trunks as banquettes
I used two benches on the long side of the table

David Hicks David Hicks David Hicks! How we all love the David Hicks La Fiorentina fabric! One of my favorite rooms done by Brian Patrick Flynn features the fabric.

Bedroom done by Brian Patrick Flynn with David Hicks fabric - photo by Christina Wedge courtesy of  Scripps Networks

Brian Patrick Flynn - photo by Christina Wedge courtesy of Scripps Networks

I LURV Brian Patrick Flynn!!!! - photo by Christina Wedge courtesy of Scripps Networks

The storage benches (or trunks as they are called) came from Overstock.

The Sole Domino trunk from Overstock

I used three of them - two for the long side of the table, and one at the shorter side near the wall. Because of the table size and the stock size of the trunk, I couldn't use a full size trunk to deal with the corner. The trunks would have extended beyond the length of the table if I used more than three. So I found a cube ottoman to tuck in the corner. It didn't come in the same print, so I chose something close. Also it's a tad shorter, so I just put some pieces of wood under the legs to elevate it. It's all about smoke and mirrors.


I used this ottoman from Overstock to deal wit the corner portion of my "banquette"

I think the print looks as good as the David Hicks. It is so popular with designers, bloggers, Etsy sellers, and home decorators.

Melissa Rufty did this settee in David Hicks fabric featured on the cover of Big Easy Style

I found the fabric that my trunks are upholstered in and would love to recover the corner piece. I also am thinking about making mini "headboards" to act as a back to my banquette. I am going to hang black frame closet door mirrors horizontally over the banquette for a French bistro vibe.

You can see a long mirror over the sink in my kitchen - that's a closet door mirror hung sideways - I'll do the same thing with three of this type of mirror over the new dining room banquette

Mirrors over a banquette in a bistro

But not so fast! The fabric is out of stock (M9253 Zig Zag Domino Upholstery Fabric by Barrow), and the mill says to check back in 90 days. There is another Richloom fabric that made the rounds of the blogs, but it seems to have been discontinued (of course). I found a small amount in orange HERE.

Zig Zag Domino Upholstery Fabric by Barrow

 So there you have it. A small change that has made a big difference.

Valorie Hart dining room with Noguchi style lantern and David Hicks style fabric on the banquette

You can see that a generous walkway has been created by moving the dining room table - The credenza has been moved from the kitchen into this new spot and now holds two sets of china

Another view of the new arrangement - The skeletons came back for a minute, but didn't work out

I love this credenza in here


So what projects has the coming of Fall gotten you to do? "Enquiring Minds" want to know.

Hover over any image to Pin it
Please add my NEW address to your blog list: http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

20 comments:

  1. I love the legs on your table, and I love that credenza. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style. So, thanks for sharing. Projects for this Fall: finishing the backsplash because I got a new hood, bolster in white for the master bedroom, new pillows for out doors, slip cover a French bench for extra seating and fancy camping in navy and brown plaid. That's about it for now.
    Sharon
    @novaraway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how you do one thing (like move a dining room table) that leads to a eureka moment! How awesome that you found a new set up just by doing that one thing and it lead to a major re-do. I'll bet it feels like a whole new room now! And I like that mirror over the credenza! I am a new follower! Looking forward to seeing more!
    -Khammany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the table legs, question: what do you do with the hide when you use the table? LOVE that mirror over the credenza. The concept of a vista and the "vanishing threshold" and how important it is has just recently started to resonate with me. I think your shotgun house is a great example, lots of tantalizing views piquing the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments - they are always so thoughtful. Really.
      About the hides - I take them off and do trad things, a tablecloth or placemats. I don't think anyone wants to dine on hair lol
      I am thinking of painting the table top black (chalkboard paint). That French country color is so dated, and the table top has some wear and tear from many craft projects. The white hides were the idea of Jill Sharp Brinson, and I love that they changed the table without my having to paint it. xo xo

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    All are the beautiful popular design the dining room,bedroom,house and really like your blog. Please keep sharing more and more information.............

    Paris Trip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valorie, such beautiful changes with the bonus of having extra walking space. I love the mirror over your credenza. Can you share the source or was this an antique find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased it at ABC Carpets in New York 17 years ago. Thanks for the lovely comment. xo xo

      Delete
  7. Hi Miz V, it's me Carey. I very much like the direction your dining room is taking (though I still miss your red office!). The project possesses so much of your BOUNDLESS CREATIVITY + SERENDIPITY + RUTHLESS RESOURCEFULNESS + LOW CASH FLOW = SPACES WITH SPARK AND STYLE. You really shine under the pressure to scramble and to make it work. You always have.

    The most awesome result to emerge from this "oh look, the table looks better there!" accidental catalyst is the credenza moving from the kitchen into the dining room. LOVE IT. Love that whole yummy vignette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carey! Always a treat to hear from you! Thanks for being here with me for so many years.
      LOVE you.
      xo xo

      Delete
  8. All these years - and you never realized this? amazing! the room looks absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love the light - the banquettes - it's fabulous!!!!!!!!! Ballard sells custom banquettes - that you could have ordered too. this is just fabulous though - i love the fabric ! everything!
    it takes a village!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gawd Joni, I have had that table every which way lol. But the banquette idea was the missing piece. I love the Ballard banquettes but sadly there were out of my budget. Those little trunks I used were only 122. each! And already covered in that great Hicks style fabric! And they arrived in less then a week!
      It does take a village, and we have a good one amongst us bloggers :-)
      xo xo

      Delete
  9. i tried to preorder your book but the link didn't work?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's me Carey again. Just ordered your book via Amazon.com! Will check back in soon. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The room looks like it was built to house the table right in that corner. You are genius to find and use the trunks and the light is just perfect. Great refresh.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miz V -- this is so inspiring! From the aha! change in floor plan to the let's keep it real with the budget decisions, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Valorie -- the researcher in me couldn't resist searching for "your" fabric. Might be worth a call to The Fabric House in Nashville, 615-837-0000 (closed Sundays). Per a community thread on Apt Therapy, they had it in the latter half of 2012. Here's that thread-
    http://community.apartmenttherapy.com/users/176653-MatthewM
    Plus a link showing how Matthew M used the fabric as drapes:
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/matthews-modern-coastal-casual-room-room-for-color-contest-179085

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely room. Can't wait to get your new book - your blog is one I come back to again and again - always something interesting! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this new arrangement. It is great to turn a negative into a positive.

    ReplyDelete