Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Wig And A Dream


It's foggy and drizzling this morning, not cold, just damp. The walking groups are weaving their way through the neighborhoods making their way to the French Quarter. I hear drums and trumpets outside the front door. Time to get out the wig box, the glad rags, and mask.

Bianca Del Rio THE queen of New Orleans

People are lined up on St. Charles Avenue.
Zulu rolls at 8 AM, Rex at 10. The artists and bohemians St. Ann parade in the Bywater is also getting underway. Mardi Gras starts early and goes hard until midnight when it's all over for another year.

Alberto and I have been doing some celebrating. We saw a few parades, and tears came at Muses, always missing Sabina and Joe, and feeling thankful that Alberto lived to see another Mardi Gras. Only one year ago he was in rough shape, though we made our way ever so slowly to the parades and to the French Quarter on Fat Tuesday. This year things are so much better! Laissez le bon temp roule!

Alberto and friend Mardi Gras 2010


We went to The Lords of Leather Ball the other night. Our friend Jessica got us the invitation. She is a big deal textile conservator, and her friend and colleague Wayne is a big deal curator at The Louisiana State Museum, and is a member of the Lords of Leather, and he graciously invited us all to sit at his ringside table.

iPhone photo of Jessica and me at the Lords of Leather

Kitty Kitty Bang Bang


The Lords of Leather is a gay club with the motto "Leather, Love, Laughter". Bianca Del Rio was the MC. I dressed up in a ridiculous costume, a black leather strapless gown and a cat woman mask. Joan Rivers is right: Just because you can zip it doesn't mean you should wear it - except on Mardi Gras!!!

Love and Laughter and Leather!


So today we will put on our glad rags and make our way into the French Quarter, to see and be seen, to have lunch, to find freinds in the street, and to see Bianca host the big costume show on the street where we used to live.

Mardi Gras ends at midnight, with the mounted police and garbage trucks and sweepers clearing the street. A bullhorn shouts: Mardi Gras is over! Get off the street now!!!


Bourbon Street at midnight on Mardi Gras


For us, it ends around 6 PM. Farewell to the pleasures of the flesh. Lent arrives. Whew.

11 comments:

  1. Happy Mardi Gras! We love and miss you, have fun for us too.
    XOXO-Sabina and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty Kitty Bang Bang, you look mah-velous. I hope you have a ball today. Please take lots of pictures of you, Alberto and the festivities and please share. For all of us who cannot be in NOLA for Mardi Gras (or every other day, your glimpses into the fun are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oww oww - looks so fun!
    On Mardi Gras we eat lots on donuts!
    .
    I also vote - take lots of pictures and please share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to always do Mardi Gras when I lived in Mobile. A different vibe than NOLA but fun all the same! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look like fun. I forgot it eve was Mardi Gras today...very quite day here painting furniture with the dogs. Last year on this day, I was in the middle of sending out 300 king cakes to clients at my horrid job. They were good cakes though. All of us at the office sampled. It is strange how different one year can be fro the last. So happy to hear that Alberto is enjoying this Mardi Gras even more than last. You cat suit is very cute despite you being decked out in leather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vamp certainly knows how to partay! Yay for Alberto.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you can zip it girl, go for it. Enjoy every minute. You look very festive and have lots to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mardi, Vamp! Glad to see you were out and about! Back to blogging for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Valorie,

    Just had to stop by and see how the high priestess of New Orleans chic has been celebrating! You look fantastic in your leather costume! I can totally picture you striding through the room at the ball, moving with catlike grace, smiling knowingly ... casually offering fellow revelers a glimpse of the riding crop in your hand! ;)

    I attempted to set what I imagined might serve as a "carnival" table for two. Stop by if you have a moment, k?

    My best to Alberto ...

    Fondly,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. I love your blog. My name's Anna, I'm a stylist and visual merchandiser in LA. I'm 23 years old and moved to California after graduating back in south with a degree in visual merchandiser. I've worked with such designers as Max Azria, Nicole Richie, and my idol Rachel Zoe. I'd love if you visited my new blog for multiple posts a day on all things fashion. I'd love the support. I'm following you, I hope you'll do the same. Thanks so much.

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What more do you need in life than a wig and a dream?!

    Looks like you had a fabulous time!

    turnuptherad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete