Friday, July 29, 2011

The Big Girl Glasses

Iris Apfel

In New York when a woman gets to be a certain age that surpasses that certain age, she gets to have certain fashion privileges. You earn the right to wear what you want, and you have the wisdom to wear it well. In New Orleans the rite of passage is the Big Girl Drapes. What rite of passages do you enjoy?

At age 40, like clockwork, my "up-close" vision started down the blurry slope. I embraced it as a fashion opportunity to wear cute reading glasses. But it was a nuisance not being able to see everything I wanted to see without having to search for a pair of reading glasses. It truly was the only thing in the aging process I objected to.

Age is something we all achieve at one time or another. It is democratic in what it does to us. You can have tons of cosmetic procedures, but your body (and mind ha ha) is the age it is no matter what. Breezy slogans of any number being the new number may be cute (60 the new 40 ha ha), but really it is what it is. And it's not all bad if you embrace change as much as you can.

Baby boomers redefine everything, and they (we) are certainly re-inventing how one ages. No longer do we have the relief of letting ourselves go and relaxing. Now we have to do things: To work, to be fit, to be pro active in our own health care, to stay current and hip.

As with most things this reinvention is a blessing and a curse. No granny frocks and aprons and jiggling your upper arms to make the grand kids laugh. No napping in the sun for hours at a time. No social security or pension check coming in, and if one does come in, it certainly isn't large enough to live on. Savings and home values and retirement funds that took years to cultivate are wiped out more often than not these days.

But along with the gloom and doom of all this, and getting the sappy AARP Magazine every month, so much is better for those of us aging (which is all of us ha ha). We can be more healthy, be more lively, and do more things. And it is fun.

I just had another birthday, the second into my seventh decade. I am blessed to be in good health, and living a vibrant happy life. I still work at something I love, and live with someone I love.

My sister came to visit me for this birthday, and we spent a wonderful twelve days together with Alberto. We had not seen each other since Katrina. She is five years younger than I am. I am the eldest of seven.

We had "a bucket list" of things we wanted to do together, a couple of them quite practical. One was to get new glasses together, and the other had do with bra fittings (saving that for another post ha ha). I knew from an eye exam I had over a year ago that I needed glasses above and beyond the readers I had been sporting since age 40. In fact I bought the frames a year ago, and never had the prescription filled.

The frames I chose were a no-brain-er. I knew I would always get the really big glasses I had always seen New York City ladies of a certain age wearing. You'd see them shopping on Madison Avenue, or having lunch at a swanky spot, or sipping a cocktail at The Carlyle. Sophistication and a joie de vivre dripped off of them.

Carrie Donovan


Sylvia Weinstock

Of course young girls wear oversized glasses too. And when I was a young girl in the 1970s there were plenty of fashion role models wearing them. We had Jackie and Audrey, and Gloria Steinem, and the it girls in the movies, Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton, and Ali McGraw. Only then my young perfect eyes didn't need remedial eyeglasses. Like many young girls now,  I wore (and still do) glam fashionista oversized sunglasses.

Valorie Hart 1970? - photo by Bill Hart

Diane Keaton in oversized glasses in the 1970s

Ali McGraw in oversized eyeglasses in the 1970's

Jane Fonda in the 1970's

I tried on many oversized frames before deciding. You have a better choice in sunglasses. All you have to do is ask the optical shop to pop out the sunglasses lenses and put your prescription lenses in. My sister and I went to Eyemasters, with chain shops nationwide. They often have terrific specials, and we shopped many other chain stores and found two pairs of glasses with, gasp, invisible line bifocals, for $99.  I chose one pair of frames from Eyemasters, and had them use my frames for the other.

Last year, I tried on every big frame from Chanel to Versace, and finally chose a tortoise color pair from Oliver Peoples called "Ballerina", which somehow spoke to me. I love them! I am adjusting to the bifocal part, having to find just the right position to read on the computer. The glasses force me to hold my head up a bit, which I think improves my posture.The distance part of the lenses is magical!!!!

Oliver Peoples Ballerina Eyeglasses

The Visual Vamp wearing Oliver Peoples Ballerina eyeglasses - photo by Sharon Rivas

A Visual Vamp birthday toast with my sister Cher - photo by Alberto Paz


On another subject, I want to thank all of you following me over to my new blog home. I hope more of you will find your way here.  This is the first official post I am doing, and I am finding my way with new tools. It's kind of an exciting time for me.

24 comments:

  1. Am I the first to comment?? Wow.
    Love the new site!
    Love the glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Pamela! Thanks for finding me! xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Valerie! You look as cute as a button! Love your new site too!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if you aren't just the cutest? A-dor-a-ble!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valorie you look marvelous!! Happy Birthday
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the The Visual Vamp wearing Oliver Peoples Ballerina eyeglasses - by Sharon Rivas. You look tremendous. Wonderful photograph of a marvelous person.
    BCH

    ReplyDelete
  8. You picked some pretty fabulous ladies to feature here! I like to think I'll be like Iris Apfel when I'm her age just with less money. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your new specs!
    I am now officially a "have to wear glasses" woman of a certain age. 43 and I wear a 2.0. Always on the lookout for some some cool specs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday VV.
    Don't think I'll ever get used to needing glasses, but I know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Valorie,
    Love your new look...blog and glasses. I'm really wild about the glasses. They are so you. It takes great style and confidence to pull those off and you definitely have that.

    Looking forward to more great things here at Visual Vamp!

    One more quick thing...got to meet and had lunch with Renae a few weeks ago. We had a great time. She really loves you. I'm thinking that her blog is where I met up with you for the first time. oh well, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!
    This si my favorite post! The right of passage at different decades in our lives is so true and needs to be celebrated a lot more! You did it brilliantly as usual!!
    Welcom home!
    Have a great weekend!
    Xoxox
    Jamie Herzlinger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Timely subject .. my reading glasses broke ( ear thingee broke off) so I went to the opticians and bought a new pair. Pale tortoiseshell and a bit "nerdy", which is what I like.
    Not big ..
    But then I have a pair of black framed sunglasses that cover most of the top half of my face :) which I love.
    I am afraid I look too much like a bug when I wear big eyeglasses..
    You , on the other hand, look adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who would have guessed your age. Valerie, you are so hip, active, smart, and energetic the vibe just comes off the pages of your blog. Love your new site and look forward to more transformation from the Vamp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forget the glasses. I love the purse you are holding in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The new site looks great as do you. The glasses look fab & I love your cheeky sense of style, whether in decorating or fashion. I hope to be even half as fabulous as you are when I reach my 7th decade. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been wearing the big black rims from 2000. When I was in NYC to
    visit my Cousins one said those are so old fashioned. I wear my skirts
    just below my knees,
    I don't care what wossie says it should be at my hind cheeks. Take a hike.
    I wear what feels right. Remember the awful platforms. we all looked
    like we had a club foot. Some designers wouldn't wear the things
    themselves.
    The American Public Easy marks- look at Washington, we bought it.
    It's our fault we were hood winked,
    Have a great day, Val

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute VV, how cool is it that your sister's name is Cher?

    Did she get the "VV" gene, too? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those new glasses! And, a new blog address! You are showing us all how getting older can mean learning and doing new and exciting things. My mom is also an amazing example of someone who at 71, looks fabulous, contributes her time to good causes and is surrounded by a wonderful group of women friends. Here's to the ladies who embrace every day!

    I'll update my blog roll to your new address!
    xoxo Elizabth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course I followed you! Changed my Google Reader the minute I read your email. Luv your new glasses. Fit your face & style perfectly!
    Glad you had your sister in town for the Bday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely, lovely post. I'm a new follower although I've read you ofter. Love the new site and color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO jealous!!! I have been wanting those glasses for years now!!!! Too bad I'm only making 31 this week-- b/c they do look most wonderful on ladies with far more wisdom than I ;) They fit you just perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love those glasses! Have been a glasses afficonado since I realized that they helped me get out of gym class years ago (even though i faked needing them)! Sadly, we don't have the same equivalent for men. I just joined the full time wear as well with a +1.25 add + 2.00. What is your prescription?

    ReplyDelete