Friday, June 1, 2012

Would You Like To Audition With Me For HGTV Design Star?

Well the new season of HGTV Design Star kicked off this past week. And as we all sit and watch and judge the contestants, I wonder how many of us would have the courage to audition. The people who actually make it onto to show have already proven that they can stand out among thousands of entries.

The winning room on the first episode of HGTV Design Star

The format of the show is pretty much set, so it was no surprise that the starlets had to decorate the house they were moving into. It's a big old ugly McMansion and they got three days to do the project.

No surprises. Nothing wow and really only one hideous room made so mainly by the designer from Bay St. Louis, Mississippi which is a bedroom community of New Orleans. Let's just say she couldn't let her Mardi Gras stay back home, and she made a huge mess with the cliches (purple and green and a Fleur di lis).

The worst room that looks like a Mardi Gras train wreck
One interesting contestant to me is Miera who is 63. Yay(!) for Design Star for including someone my age! I often think about competing, but I don't know if I could hack all that group interaction, DIY crap projects, time constraints, having to share a house, and being away from home. I guess I get enough validation sitting on my couch watching the show ha ha.

Miera - Stop saying you're old and just kick ass!

I don't think Miera will last long. Not because she isn't talented. She would not have made the cut this far if she didn't have something to offer. But she is already pulling the age card out. If it were me, I would never mention my age. I would let the work and my personality speak. I think when anyone whines about their age whether they are young or older, it is a huge turn off, and it slows a person down creatively.

Miera did this room with her assigned partner Jordan - I would not like to sleep in this room - Why did it take three days to do this?

Anyhoo, this coming Tuesday is the White Room Challenge. HGTV has another show just dedicated to that, and it is a pretty awful show. The flaw with home decor shows is the instant result syndrome. I remember the days when This Old House was the only design show on TV, and it took a whole season for a project to get to the final reveal. I don't understand why speed is thought to be a quality in the case of designers and decorators.

Emily Henderson, who won on another past season of Design Star, writes some great recaps of the show on her blog. She can't be snarky, because after all HGTV is her boss,  but she does tell it like it is, and her perspective of having been a contestant makes her reporting ring true.

And, sheeeeeeeeeeeee's back! Jenny from MFAMB is doing her Design Turd recaps, the most funny and honest commentary about the show. Don't miss reading them.

Why do we watch?  Is it the Roman Coliseum aspect? To get design and decor ideas? To be entertained? I don't know why I watch, but I do ha ha, and I enjoy it. Do I want my own design TV show? Do you?

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this new blog

9 comments:

  1. Why the hell not??
    Jessica
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. on the one hand you are too good for this show. on the other hand you would win..if you could meet all the hard hours and chit chat with dumb 20 somethings. something i would have a hard time doing. plus if they made me shop only at signature furniture and places like that i would just walk off.
    and i auditioned!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehh. Maybe we watch because it is on, not riveting...mildly anesthetizing...at best.

    I rarely watch...but saw it last week.

    YOU are a personality and pure style to contend with. Maybe I am partial...but you would whoop ass.

    Do it.

    I'd watch....and it wouldn't be anesthesia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it!!!!!! One look at you and your portfolio and you are in Ms V.!
    XOXO- Shane

    ReplyDelete
  5. This show must be impossibly hard to produce anything of greatness because almost everyone looks so bad on it. Emily Henderson was a deserving win but Meg last year....oh gosh...I can't stand her or her style. I think you are too good for this show. But I'm with you...don't talk about how old you are...just do the work. I have not decided if I will watch this year.....I feel like it's been such a waste of time in years past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm agreeing...you are probably too good for the show...but we would all watch if you were on and I can't imagine that you wouldn't win!...When I watch things like this my husband always comes in and says why? you aren't going to pick up a single idea from this kind of stuff?? Again it's the entertainment...how bad can it get?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see this show up where we live, but I agree, age should have nothing to do with it. Just do it!. I can't see you doing a program like this, simply because your designs have feelings, and you can't feel something this quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valerie believe it or not I haven't watched this show.. I have no patience for most TV at all!! BUT I have no doubt that you would shine like the star you are on any TV show you put your mind to...

    bisous

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched your youtube video, the christmas house tour, your house is so awesome, and you are someone I would love to watch on TV, I hope you auditioned!

    ReplyDelete