Friday, November 28, 2014

Gifting From New Orleans

'Tis the shopping season, and I find myself gifting my favorite New Orleans things again. You might have someone who would like something from or about New Orleans. Here are my favorites that you can buy online.



1. Kabuki by Tracy Thompson water meter pot holders. Decorative and functional, these handcrafted kitchen potholders are a tribute to the iconic New Orleans Water meter cover. Silk screened fabric is made from a rubbing of the water meter. There are three layers of batting sandwiched between two layers of canvas, and all are embroidery quilted together, following the lines of the crescent moon rays. Available in plain WATERMETER, or choose between 30 Historic New Orleans neighborhoods and streets.


2. A set of large rocks glasses from Mignon Faget. Everyone has a home bar in New Orleans, from a cart to a tray on the kitchen counter. I love these glasses and have often gifted them. They are great for adult cocktails, soft drinks, water, milk and cookies...


3. I have not taken off the silver fleur de lis pendant I got from Sterling Silvia when Alberto and I returned home after Katrina. I love the mini size, and it certainly has held up. I have gifted it often as a remembrance of New Orleans.  Sterling Silvia is a family owned and operated business by the Asturias family. A member of the Asturias family is usually always present at one or both stores. The Asturias family works hard to ensure that all customers have a joyous and wonderful shopping experience.


4. Lucite tray with New Orleans toile designed by Hazelnut. What could be a better hostess gift?


5. My book House Proud has been gifted by a lot of people, including myself. Chock full with gorgeous photos by Sara Essex Bradley, and interesting back stories about each house in the book, and useful takeaway decorating tips garnered from each home...well what can I say? If you email me at mizvtheb@yahoo.com, I will send you a personally inscribed and autographed copy to give or to keep.


6. Two books by Debra Shriver are books I often give as remembrances of New Orleans. They are Stealing Magnolias, and In the Spirit of New Orleans. 




7. Rouses, the locally owned supermarket chain has great gift baskets. Louisiana’s Best! Send a taste of home to displaced Louisianians near and far, and even to those who are only Louisianians at heart! A savory selection of authentic Louisiana seasonings, condiments and seafood boil and dinner mixes fill this reusable wicker basket, which includes a sweet ending to any Louisiana meal, pralines.








8. Local artist Ashley Longshore is beloved and wildly successful. Do contact Ashley Longshore because she always does special affordable art for the holidays. She has designed many things for Anthropologie, including a series of stunning lamp shades. 








9. Again from Hazelnut are these very cute New Orleans picture frames. I especially love the St. Charles Avenue trolley car one.





10. Scriptura is a very special stationary store, and yes I like to give and get note cards, note pads, place cards, note books...all of that old school stuff. They have wonderful things specific to New Orleans that you can order online.




So beat the Black Friday madness, and stay home and do some online shopping for some very special inspired by New Orleans.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Post. All readers will definitely like this post. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of cute goodies. Love the "Well, I do declare", the Lucite tray (in your room?), and of course your book (which I have:-) -carey

    ReplyDelete