Monday, March 11, 2013

Stylists - Things To Avoid

As a stylist I have been guilty of overusing certain things. When a shot starts to look futzy I think "no more green apples".



I was recently sent a stylists brief by a photographer who works with a major European magazine. It had some good suggestions, but what made me smile were the things to avoid for props. A verbal one was also added to the list: No Buddhas.

 


Here's the list from the magazine:


THINGS TO AVOID
Some things have been done to death, so please avoid:
*Clothes on beds.
*Dress hanging on wardrobe door.
*Towels draped over baths.
*Shoes by sofas.
*Handbag by armchair/sofa.
*Cup of tea balancing on sofa/chair.
*Owners reaching into cupboards.




Other no- no’s
Robert’s Radios.
Trays on beds.
Unopened bottles of wine with glasses.


I might add: Too many books, skulls, Foo Dogs, and of course green apples. What do you think? It's hard out there for a stylist.








The blog that really keeps me in line is Catalog Living. Every possible styling equation gets its due caption. Check it out.

from Catalog Living: "Frankly Gary, I’ve been so busy I’m amazed I’ve found the time to keep our twine spool jar full."

Catalog Living



Click on the post title to see the Pin It button at the bottom of the post, or hover over any image on any post to see a Pin Button.
 
Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

5 comments:

  1. Definitely have to start reading Catalogue Living - the caption made me chuckle out loud. I suppose over-use is a natural side effect in this world of digital photography and pictures being sent 'round the world in a flash (pun intended). No sooner do I notice a trend, than I'm sick of it. As for me green apples and beautiful flowers cannot be overdone. They're products of nature which puts them in a separate category. Now jars of twine - that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you've been doing it all wrong? not likely, love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely guilty of the green apple thing...boy do I agree with the foo dogs, budhas, and skulls. My favorite is soup cooking on the fire or bathtubs out in the wilderness....right! Loved this post and their blog is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to use unusual things that owners my have stuffed in a closet somewhere! Just did that for a client the other day. :)
    Been thinkin' about ya Friend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. Every designer and artist must work from the heart and not get too caught up in trends. On a recent trip to the NY Botanical Gardens, I was inspired by the amount of bulbs just lofted into the air and then planted. I think that sounds so marvelous. I love images of rooms with life, moving people that are sort of blurred out....it does give the impression that the room has a spirit. I would never get tired of an Hermes H blanket, and something whimsical - oh and a dog or some creature lying about.
    pve

    ReplyDelete