Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tiptoe Through The Tulips

Valorie Hart Designs
Fashion show flowers

As the Alberta Clipper cold front moves across the country, and dips its way into the deep south, perhaps some pretty flower pictures will warm us up a bit.
Valorie Hart Designs
Silver pieces belong to the client -
She had enough to decorate over a dozen tables!

Here in New Orleans it's cold for us human hot house flowers. It's getting down to the 40's at night, but no hard freeze in the city yet, though the weekend is promising still colder temperatures.
Valorie Hart Designs
Full blown double tulips, roses, ginestra, snap dragon, ivy
Lucite chairs in background
Silver Champagne stand used as flower vessel

The pink magnolia are in bud and bloom, and the bulb flowers are poking their heads up too. For New Orleans, this is early Spring.
So look at your own clipping files of pretty flowers, and maybe dash to the super market or flower shop, and get yourself some Spring cheer to help warm your spirit. Spring really is just around the corner!
Have you ever been to Holland to the flower auctions? It's quite incredible. Zillions of boxes of blooms are offered, and zillions of dollars are bid and realized. Holland and South America supply much of the world with cut flowers.
It's hard to imagine that these beautiful fields of tulips might end up in your local store, fresh and ready for you to arrange. And at a good price too considering all that it takes to grow them, bring them to market and auction, ship them to your wholesaler, and get them to your flower seller.
From the famous flower fields of The Netherlands...
...to your corner store

As usual my friend Gary Page has the best selection of Holland tulips. And Yes he does ship!

WEEK OF JANUARY 5th, 2009:

DUTCH TULIPS IN FOCUS

A wide range of single, double, parrot, and novelty Dutch tulips are now available in abundance. Prices range from .75 to $1.75 per stem and all Dutch Tulips are sold in 50 stem bundles; see some of our favorite varieties below.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with Maria for fresh flowers shipped direct!

877 472 4394 or maria@gpage.com for pricing and shipping information

Flowers

Super Parrot

Flowers

Orange Princess

Flowers

Ronaldo

Flowers

Salmon Parrot

Flowers

Ad Rem

Flowers

Top Parrot

Flowers

Monarch Parrot

Flowers

Apricot Parrot

Flowers

Lieberstar

Flowers

Pollada Rood

Flowers

Double Price

Flowers

Synadea Orange

Flowers

Alexander Pushkin

Flowers

Mondial

Flowers

Angelique

Flowers

Red Princess

Flowers

Gerbrand Kiefer

Flowers

Cairo

Flowers

Leo

Flowers

Claudia Red Pencil

Flowers

Rai

Flowers

Estelle Rjinveld

Flowers

Asahi

Flowers

Candy Price

Flowers

Inzell

Flowers

Cheers

Flowers

Weber's Parrot

Flowers

Pretty Woman

Flowers

Abba

Flowers

Erna Lindgren

Flowers

Fine Art

Flowers

Foxtrot

Flowers

Lady Parrot

Flowers

16 comments:

  1. Mmm reminds me of the first time I caught sight of the inside of a flower van making a delivery - thanks for the spring cheer !

    ReplyDelete
  2. ever since i was a little girl, tulips have been my favorite.

    for every occasion... tulips,
    whether they were from my parents, friends , boyfriends, husbands, or i bought them for myself.

    always tulips.

    (remember 'tiny tim' & miss vicky ???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore tulips - this post is incredible. I am a Weber's Parot, Erna Lindgren and Lady Parot lover... what rubbish I write, I love love them all. xv

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful colors of tulips! Thank you for sharing those. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the Leo tulips...beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and hopeful in this long, long winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore tulips. They are so pretty, but I love that they seldom feel formal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks - I needed that little dose of Spring!

    xxoo

    L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, who really has the adjectives to describe the pure ________ of those _________ tulips? Certainly not me. Even the photographs took my breath away. I'm looking at them at 6:50 a.m. and it's a good start to my day.

    Do I remember Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki? Do I ever. In fact, when I saw the title of this post I thought it was going to be some sort of recollection about that pair. I admit I would have devoured the post greedily, but the tulips better fulfill the "visual" part of Visual Vamp's mission, n'est pas? Tim and Vicki, not so much! Still, I'm curious Ms. Valorie: if you were to do the flowers for their wedding, what could we expect to see?

    ReplyDelete
  10. From the artist James Noel Smith:
    "Re your tulip piece...reminds me of a fascinating book I read recently about the tulip craze in Holland in the 1600s, called TULIPMANIA: The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower and the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused. by Mike Dash. --J."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks all for the comments! You know I appreciate your reading, and your commenting.
    About TT and Miss Vicky - I would do what I always do for all my brides and grooms. I wouls ask them what they would like for their wedding, and fullfill their vision to the best of my ability. Of course I would guide them to the most beautiful experience.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ms. Valorie, of course you would lead them to the most beautiful experience. I apologize for my earlier comment about Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki. It was mean and worthless. You'll never have to respond to something like that from me again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the most memorable experiences I've ever had was boating through the canals in holland during tulip time. it was like sailing through a rainbow. just incredible. more than i ever would have imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carey!
    Don't be silly!
    TT and Miss Vicky were a freak show!
    But I'd still make pretty for them! Goodness knows they could use a little pretty in their lives ha ha.
    Keep on commenting!
    I love you!
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for giving me grace, Ms. Valorie:)

    By the way, Mo told me she was using the blog photo of your charming Tiffany Christmas tree as her screen saver last month!

    ReplyDelete
  16. stunning! and much need spring colours and warmth!!

    ReplyDelete