Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Some Really Fine Chinoiserie

Growing up in a middle class house, one did not toss around words like Chinoiserie. My mother decorated our living room in what she called "Oriental". We had lacquered tables and screens, and porcelain knickknacks, and 1970's Chinese Chippendale chairs with a faux bamboo motif. That style and vintage of chairs became the darling of the Hollywood Regency era of chick decorating, showing up on every page of Domino, and then on every design blog.

Really fine Chinoserie

The Domino book has a more modest Chinoiserie motif on the cover

What my mother did definitely stuck into my being, because today in my home, I have another version of middle class Chinoiserie. I use toile with pagodas and peacocks printed on it,  and lanterns and Foo dogs, and at one time had a modest collection of Chinatown blue and white porcelain.

Eye candy Chinoiserie

I segued from my mother's idea that is decidedly American, what she called, "Oriental", to (in my mind's eye) a more chic sounding French interpretation, of what I call, "Chinoiserie" (first made popular in the 18th century). But basically it's the same thing with varying degrees of style, taste, and budget.

Uber interior designer Ann Getty - the above images are of her work showcasing her love of Chinioiserie

The words of Ann Getty


The interior designer Ann Getty loves Chinoiserie. She elevates it way beyond the beloved chick decorating genre. She's wealthy and talented enough to seek out fabulous antiques, and use incredible fabrics, textiles, and hand painted wall coverings.

Ann Getty did the interior design for a client's dining room, a deconstructed modern Chinoserie - LOVE the lime green silk drapes - but not sure of the two tables, practical but kind of restaurant-like for a home

Here is the same dining room, the tables set for a party

Who among us doesn't have the if-money-were-no-object fantasies? If I were a rich girl, I would love some Ann Getty Chinoiserie style. In the meantime, it's wonderful to gaze on the images of her work and be inspired, and to be content with my green silk drapes, orange French chairs, a Chinoiserie inspired fabric covered wall, Chinoiserie toile in the bedrooms, lanterns in the kitchen, and so on and so on...

Modern Chinoiserie by Ann Getty - LOVE the French style chair in orange

A wall size mood board by Ann Getty of fabrics destined for the Sherman House renovation - Shown in front is a newly restored period commode - Read More in Veranda


Classic Chinoiserie by Ann Getty - The surround of Chinoiserie wallpaper creates a peaceful haven - The confluence of grandeur and comfort results from the use of French furnishings, rock crystal lamps and Indian fabrics
Ann Getty tells us how she does it

The grand life at Chez Getty

And go to The Enchanted Home for a really nice round up about Chinoiserie.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower

3 comments:

  1. I am blown away! That dining room is completely stunning - and my mom always had/has "oriental" accents - and I seem to have inherited her affection for these pieces.
    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Aunt always had her version of 'Oriental' as she lived in Japan at one time. She used to arrange her flowers the 'Oriental' way!. I love some of these Chinoiserie wallpapers!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a collection of foo dogs going on but would love a turqoiuse set!!!!! The dining room photo is really great,I love the peacock.I have a tiny version in my living room,lol!!!!!

    ReplyDelete