Saturday, April 27, 2013

Blog Smackdown!

I love a lively discussion and Joni Webb has one going now. Go to Cote de Texas and check it out.



And read this article in the Wall Street Journal, entitled Watch Out For That Pillow.

In New York, I never had to have the discussion regarding a license for doing creative work for hire.

I found out that you cannot do floral design as a business without a license in Louisiana. At first I laughed. How quaint. But I found out that unlicensed talent is indeed hired, by making one person in the business take the outdated and expensive written test thus licensing the business, so that anyone in their employ can push those dangerous petals. Event design companies totally side step it.

The terms of decorator and designer have become interchangeable. Design a room, decorate a room, style a room, stage a room.

I have nothing against school and credentials. As we know it often doesn't always add up to having the talent to do the job you got the education for, or guarantee a job.

I am against the self interest of lobbies with deep pockets.

So check out Joni's post and do sign the petition. Thanks.

Live free and decorate!!!!!


Hover over any image to Pin it.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely no need for a license! I read her blog and she has all the right points!
    It is talent , not science.
    Bes, Jamie Herzlinger

    ReplyDelete
  2. An education is a wonderful thing, but talent is something your born with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take the words out of my mouth! Old school habits and attitudes will be swept away in this new world of We All Can Do It!
    I have no problem with licensed experts, as long as they keep the promise of doing the genuine work. But too often have I found hollowed principles and empty promise behind the golden license to do whatever they were meant to do! And just a lot of money for THAT? I remember my first encounter with a window designer, who wanted to rip me of thousands of Dollars for my two bay windows.....Until I did it myself for much less and it still hangs.
    OK, I have no license and I am not a member of the design club, but I know I deliver what I promise or I stay away if I feel it is out of my expertise.
    You have such talent, it shows everywhere, license, what license? Away with the old fashioned notions.
    Reserve that for the jobs where its really needed! Doctors, lawyers, plumbers, electricians....
    Love over to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dirty little secret in many design firms is that a client hires the designer with the most extensive portfolio and reputation, but the work of selecting fabrics, wall coverings, furniture is often relegated to an associate that the client has never met. The associate does most of the leg work and the client pays the fees of the designer. Now if the regulators want to take this offense on and regulate it, I am all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Valorie, it's me Carey. I'm very much against the enforced licensing for interior designers. Our nation has huge issues to deal with, things that have life & death impact implications, both locally and globally. Those are what I want my government representatives working on. There is a place for government regulation, but telling us who we can and cannot hire to express creativity in our homes is not one of those places. If our country starts going down a road like that, the next thing you know we'll be limited to a list of government approved hairstyles as they are in North Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valorie, you always make me smile! ASID doesn't make a designer, God does. Once people recognize this we will all be better off. If people want to charge more they just need to go through the school of hard knocks and get experience. There are many of us who could be ASID if we wanted but chose not to because we dont' see a reason to pay the fees. There is enough work out there for everyone designers, decorators alike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valorie
    Great Post...interesting article from WSJ. Joni does get them going doesn't she? How regulating interior design turns into criticizing other bloggers (Joan)...always lively!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am cunfused on this entire issue. If someone is not licensed should that be listed in the profile on their blog. Where is the transparacy. and why are they so adamant? I do recall a certain blogger admitting to submitting a design borrowed inspired by a professional designer as a final project for their class and "called out" so they dropped out of the program... thus they have some training--- but many have not followed thru on the apprenticeship of the fellowship of the industry...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Val. "Lively discussion"? IMO, sadly it is more like a mud-slingling fest over at Joni's and why anyone would want to target 'Joan' speaks volumes about the offender and how insecure they must be as an individual.

    As for the 'society' spearheading the dispute, I took time to read some of their By-Laws and found their Article IX Disciplinary Proceedings for members, particularly interesting. As a consumer, it certainly made me think twice about the real intent of their agenda and I urge others to read it as well. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete