Thursday, October 3, 2013

Domino 3.0 - The New Domino

All right. I confess. I still have all my old back issues of Domino magazines, and I actually look through them from time to time. When it first came out and those issues were new, I didn't have a clue to who was who. Now after years of blogging, the names are boldface, and many Domino alumni have forged out careers in the design world.

Now there is Domino 3.0 as described in The New York Times. It's a three page article, and I swear I still don't exactly know what the new Domino is. I think there's an expensive print edition on the newsstands. and hopefully updated.

Add caption

My blog buddy Erica said it best and was quoted in the Times:
Since its demise, its publisher, Condé Nast, has tried to capitalize on that devotion with special issues that were rehashes of old stories, a tactic that enraged some of Domino’s more vocal fans. “I’m feeling like we all just got totally punk’d,” wrote one, Erica Reitman, on Design Blahg, when the first one appeared in 2012. “Create some original [expletive] content.”  I believe the expletive Erica used was "fucking" content.


In addition to print there is an e-commerce site, and a chance for interaction from which we readers will be encouraged to do. The Times says. "This Domino isn’t really a magazine. It’s a store."



The Times says, "Starting Thursday, say its creators, Domino will be introduced as an e-commerce site, a platform loaded with the magazine’s archives and new content that will be “shoppable,” to use the industry term. Not “click-through-to-a-merchant shoppable,” either, a model that others have pursued. Domino itself will be the retailer, “the merchant of record,” as its creators put it, and they hope to make money through the markup on products from companies like Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams, Jonathan Adler and 200 other manufacturers whose wares will be for sale under the Domino awning."

Domino’s new editor, Michelle Adams (she has left Lonny, which she went to from Domino when it folded), and its chief revenue officer, Beth Fuchs Brenner - If this was an old fashion magazine Beth would be the publisher


How I long for the days of getting my Domino slipped in the mail slot of my front door. What do you think?

PS I went to the new Domino site, and it's pretty nifty. But still...

My stack of old Domino magazines in my office

Hover over any image to Pin it
Please add my NEW address to your blog list: http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

3 comments:

  1. I still have my issues as well! I don't know why they won't go back to the original magazine. Every blogger I know misses it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it but maybe I'm just an old fashioned kind of reader and shopper. Why would I go to the Domino site to buy a Jonathan Adler item and pay Domino's mark-up? I can go to the Georgetown store and buy it in person or surely I can go to Adler's web site and buy it there. I think that chief revenue officer is going to have a tough job ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love reading Domino, I'll have to check our this new site soon!

    ReplyDelete