Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Do You Decorate Fearlessly?

From the book by Susanna Salk (Rizzoli) Decorate Fearlessly, interior design by Valorie Hart, photo by Sara Essex Bradley
As you can see I am trying a new look for the blog. I hope you like it because I cannot figure out to go back to the old one. I thought I would try something new to refresh my spirits and get me blogging again.

Many nice things are happening for me. Alberto was so loved, and it turns out I am loved too, and so many of you have been helping me along. One of the many things I miss about Alberto is that he was my number one fan. He was so proud of my accomplishments.

From Decorate Fearlessly by Susanna Salk, interior design Valorie Hart, photo by Sara Essex Bradley

I have really been doing interior decoration/design for less than five years. Yes, I had a design business in New York for event design, and yes I am art school trained, but I started another chapter with interiors. I keep trying to convince Traditional Home Magazine that I am a young designer to be considered for their annual showcase, but so far they aren't buying it.

I have been blessed to have caught the imagination of authors, editors, and publishers in my budding career, and have been blessed to have gotten my work published. Alberto was so very proud that other people recognized my talent.

So now, the uber talented author and editor-at-large has included me in another one of her books:  Susanna Salk's Decorate Fearlessly (I was included in her Be Your Own Decorator a couple of years ago). It fits me to a T. And I am thrilled in the most geeky star struck way as possible. Alberto would have loved it.

Alberto Paz and Valorie Hart - This was my book launch party last September and someone said we never looked happier - Alberto was so proud of me and I love him so very much - photo by Jessica Hack

You will love Decorate Fearlessly by Susanna Salk

From Decorate Fearlessly - I am over the moon to be on the same page with so many talented people!


Susanna has the knack for gathering images of dozens of designers across the board, compiling a  delicious compendium of images that cannot help but inspire and make you think. Decorate Fearlessly has large scale photos (which I love), divided into to handy chapters organized by rooms (Living Rooms, Entryways, Dining Rooms, Kitchens, Bathrooms, Bedrooms). There is a short quote by each designer.

OMG on the same page as Nick Olsen!

Decorate Fearlessly interior design by Nick Olsen

Decorate Fearlessly interior design by Miles Redd

I am proud to say New Orleans was well represented. Besides myself, New Orleans designers Karina Gentinetta and Melissa Rufty are included, and New Orleans photographer Sara Essex Bradley has her images in the book as well.

Interior design by Karina Gentinneta, photo by Sara Essex Bradley

Decorate Fearlessly, interior design by Melissa Rufty, photo by Ron Royals


So what do you do that is fearless in decorating?

9 comments:

  1. I just do what I like. It may not appeal to the masses, but as long as I like it that's all that matters. I fearlessly mix different patterns, textures and colors. By the way I love the animal print sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making it your own is always the best designs! Congrats! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love color and pattern mix! Looking forward to putting my newly decorated room on FB for all to see! These pics get me moving on it again! Valorie, your visions are phenominal and l love your blog site! Alberto is still your #1 fan and love and always will be! Linda of the WB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to wake up to a new Visual Vamp post! I love the new blog layout and this book looks stunning.....on my wish list now. ~ Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new look, and happy to see a {tentatively} emerging you. Glad to see you back at what you do best- inspiring my inner creative self. Blowing kisses- Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I needed tonight. I'm thinking of picking up my design work again - haven't done much in that arena for a long time now and its my passion. At 54, I get stuck thinking - am I too old, blah, blah - screw it, I'm going to do it! Thanks for inspiring me, Valorie!

    Fearless decorating...I like the "Old English Country House" thing, but I have a bent for quirky, kind of "goth" (for lack of a better word!) accessories here and there - I'm looking at old black velvet ribbons in an antique white ironstone bowl - I just like it. Old rosaries hanging on my old dresser mirror. "Hippies Use Side Door" sign out back, the old "Bellboy" hotel cap, my old Underwood typewriter - I love quirky decorator fabric and some outrageous wallpaper in little spots - closets. I'm not so brave with saturated color on the walls - but I love looking at it in others homes - your work - I did paint the bathroom in a store I owned deep geranium pink and I adored it! Thanks for the fun and inspiring blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valorie -- I've always thought of your decorating style (and your personal style too!) as being fearless and love seeing it recognized as such. And the new look for the blog is fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the new blog layout! Feels much more fresh and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carey here. A new look for the blog. Clean and uncluttered, lets your posts shine. I like! It also loads much, much more quickly on my computer:-)

    Ah sigh, though I'm gaining traction in that area, I can't say that I really decorate fearlessly yet. I decorate surprisingly and unexpected sometimes, and other people seem to find my home unique (i.e.,"I would have never thought to do that!" and other such comments), but those in the know wouldn't find much of anything too daring in my house at the moment.

    Am loving the look of that book, and it's one I plan to purchase. Nice to know it has the big photos; that's one of the things I appreciated about your own book, House Proud.

    ReplyDelete