Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Last Project

     
Banquette in dining room by Valorie Hart - closet door mirrors were hung horizontally

Alberto and I always worked on house projects together. One was in progress when he died, but now it is finished. I wrote about the start of it a few months ago in a post called In The Manner Of Noguchi.

In The Manner of Noguchi - This was the start of the project with just the benches - I ultimately brought back the antique chairs instead of the vintage mid century modern ones - I can have more seating with the antique chairs
I used big pieces of foam that Alberto & I were going to cover like upholstered headboards
I laid out the foam and fabric and Alberto was getting ready to cut some plywood to mount it on    





I could not do the project without Alberto. So I had an upholsterer finish what we had started. He used a French cleat to hang the "headboards". I know Alberto would love how it turned out.

Do any of you have a banquette in your dining room or kitchen or breakfast area or tucked under the stairs?  

Here are some images of banquettes to inspire you. 

Freddy and Petunia used a headboard for this sweet banquette
New Orleans designer Melissa Rufty is the queen of banquettes - this is from the book Decorate Fearlessly by Susanna Salk

Tobi Fairley does terrific banquettes - there is a nice round up of images of banquettes at A Flippen Life
Of course Cholo loves the new banquette
  


7 comments:

  1. Love how Cholo is hugging the banquette -- almost as if she (he?) knows Alberto's touch is in the benches. The end result with the horizontal closet mirrors (aren't you clever?) is striking. And now I'm off to google "French cleat".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent! Alberto is smiling now from above!! Love the total look. Linda of the WB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I remember the beginning of the dining room makeover, Valorie, and it turned out beautifully. Crazy about the sideways mirrors above the banquette; that look reminds me of the old café interiors in France. Though I love those George Jetson chairs ( a style I have come to appreciate since starting to read you blog five years ago), in this case the antique chairs were hands down a better choice. And of course you are expert at pulling together a tabletop. -Carey

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. In looking again at the antique chairs, I think the reason they looked better to me in your dining room is because of the black border their frame provides. Resonates with the rest of the look and helps them stand out. And then, in looking at Apartment Therapy's tour of your home, I saw the Jetson chairs around your breakfast table by the fireplace. They work wonderfully there, a nice foil to the salvaged table, hide rug, and antique fireplace. And the allover white somehow suits that space.

    p.s.s. I don't have a banquette, but have always liked them. I have a spot where one is really needed to make the seating more comfortable and practical, but I have to come to terms with covering up some of the glass on the stationary side of the huge sliding doors out to the back patio - while maintaining the drape of the window coverings. It's do-able, I've just not got around to thinking it through.

    -Carey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for mentioning my post about banquettes!
    Kind regards,
    Kathleen Sams Flippen - A Flippen Life

    ReplyDelete