Monday, May 21, 2012

Style Addicts

The New York Times has a pithy article about regular folks "over propping" their homes, and of course then posting the pictures of their over propped and over styled homes on a blog or Facebook or Twitter.

If you have at least three of the ten things on their list of over used items, then you are over styled with props making your home a performance. Boo hoo.

It's hilarious. And of course I have a few of the things on the list ha ha.

I am guilty! Bar cart, vintage typewriter, color matched books! All in one photo on a blog!

Here's the list - how many do you have? If you have three or more you are guilty guilty guilty.

  • Books arranged by color
  • Vintage typewriter
  • Edison (light) bulbs
  • Terrarium
  • Monogrammed towels
  • Taxidermy
  • Le Creuset Pot
  • Bar Cart
  • Fresh Flowers
  • Vintage Fan
Are you laughing? I beg to differ with a couple of them, like bar carts, which are a staple in homes in the South and used on a daily basis, and fresh flowers, and even vintage fans, which again are useful and so much cuter than modern fans. And monogrammed everything in the South is a way of life, not necessarily a photo-op.

It's there! Hiding in a corner masquerading as a book end, the dreaded vintage typewriter! I confess it's my house!

What's worse, a new fan pretending to be vintage, or a vintage fan? We use it everyday!

Guilty! I arranged some of my books by color - Cute orange chair painting by Annechovie

So all you Dorothy and Dan Drapers out there, keep making your house cute no matter what, and use lots of stuff, and please post pictures. It used to be you had to peep into windows when you took a walk to see how people decorated, now the blogoshpere is one huge fabulous picture window. And you know we all want to see what other people have!

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this new blog

18 comments:

  1. With the exception of occasional fresh flowers, I have NOTHING on the list! Of course, it's been awhile since I've styled anything around here. Maybe I'll rearrange my books. I like them color coordinated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Surprisingly all I am guilty of is the bar cart and the fresh flowers. I mean - FRESH FLOWERS are a prop now? What?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...so I am not sleeping so well these days (see recent post) But this DID tickle my funny bone.

    Le Creuset? What the.....

    Off to by a typewriter and some fresh flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? No mention of railroad clocks, barometers (French of course), hide rugs and coral. There is much missing from this list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right!! Welcome to the South....where you take your monogrammed towels off to college with you! They forgot--hide rugs, foo dogs, white ceramic animals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the comments as much as the post! Thanks Valorie! I love the NYT but don't necessarily defer to them for styling options.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hand is raised........guilty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have 3 - flowers, towels, and vintage looking fan, not vintage.

    that list is cray. some many things left out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didn't know the place was loaded,
    and i'm so, so sorry, miles redd.

    i knew a guy in philadelphia years ago
    who had a real edison lightbulb brought
    out of its little chamois lined coffin
    only on special occasions. he was a
    lighting engineer who managed a big
    theatre and had numerous patents. m

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a problem when one begins to actually "wear room decor" via homemade typewriter key jewelry, drawer pull necklaces, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SO FUNNY! I'm guilty of the Le Cruset pot and flowers, and I'm striking the vintage fan off my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fresh flowers made the list? Now that is amusing, what is better in any home or room than fresh flowers?! Fun post, Janell

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe I have nothing on this list - except for the flowers. But I do have other things they overlooked - like antlers, fur throws, a campaign dresser, and lots of chinoiserie. Love it all and wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cracks me up. Only the great gray lady lady would have the nerve to tell people they were not making their homes pretty IN THE RIGHT WAY. Poor you if you have endeavored to live well with whatever is on hand...
    P.S. You break the "rules" so beautifully :)
    -SF

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Ms. Miller,

    All the world's a stage...Will.


    (fresh flowers?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it trendier or less trendy if the posies are from your own yard? - Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have four of those items. So, what does that make me?

    ReplyDelete