Saturday, November 9, 2013

French Quarter Mod

This classic French Quarter house was built in the 1830's. But wait until you see what is behind the stately shutters.

Creole cottage circa 1830 in the French Quarter

It's a totally contemporary decor, done by the owners Leslie and Hal Stokes, who collect modern art and modern furniture. It's on the market now HERE.

And look at what is inside!!! Love the floating steel staircase!

The dining room - I believe the table and chairs are by Mario Villa

Marble floors run throughout the entire home

The open kitchen has everything concealed behind sleek cabinets

Check out the wine storage

The guest bedroom is at street level, and the French doors you see are the ones with the green shutters on the outside of the house

In the guest bath - Stainless steel bathroom fixtures, a walk in shower, and a high mounted toilet make it user friendly

The large master suite is on the second floor

It includes a nice size home office tucked in at the tops of the stairs

The outside space is spectacular, a long deep lot with a lap pool, and an out building for the laundry and storage

The best part is a seven car (!) parking area at the back of the house

Since it's up for sale now, and I am so happy that I got to experience this lovely home and lovely couple when I did the event decor for a fundraiser in their home.

I did a party in the courtyard for the Stokes - Event decor by Valorie Hart

It was a seated dinner for 60 and I decided to use the pool for one very long table. I felt communal dining with family style dining enhanced the mood of a fund raiser.

The pool before I had covered with Plexiglas so I could put a table on it for a dinner party

Steel trusses were installed

Sheets of thick Plexiglas were laid on top of the trusses

It was magical - I added an extra table adjacent to the pool as the guest list got bigger - Event decor by Valorie Hart

Detail of the table setting - Event decor by Valorie Hart

Event decor by Valorie Hart

Event decor by Valorie Hart

I always wanted to publish this house in New Orleans Homes and Lifestyles, but never got around to it. I found this little shot I took when I did the party. I think Sara Essex Bradley might have some scouting shots we did together somewhere, and if I find them, I will post them.  Hal Stokes is Dr. Stokes who is a hand surgeon, so the couple has an amazing collection of hand themed objects.

I snapped this picture of a pair of amazing vintage Italian hand chairs in the home of Leslie and Hal Stokes

Their two cute little doggies are named Digit and Midget.

Is it Digit or Midget? I snapped this photo when I was installing the event decor

Leslie tells me they are onto a fabulous new project, and I wish them well and a speedy sale of their lovely mod French Quarter home.

Hover over any image to Pin it
Please add my NEW address to your blog list: http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog



4 comments:

  1. Fabulous and magical indeed! True Vamp styling. Linda on the WB

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a surprising place! I adore your party design! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your party decor! Love that you put the dinner party over the pool. What a pretty little cottage. The inside is very nice...but I personally don't like it when an old building gets all the vintage pulled out of it and it gets made all modern. Modern furniture...yes...rip out the old details...makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been a spectacular evening! And only enhanced by your vamp-tastic event decor.

    ReplyDelete