Monday, May 13, 2013

Hello Dalai!

A different type of colorful flags have been popping up all over New Orleans. They are prayer flags to welcome the Dalai Lama to New Orleans!

Prayer flags to welcome the Dalai Lama in my side yard visible from the street

from the Dalai Lama website:
"In honor of this historic visit, we are inviting you, business owners and residents across the Greater New Orleans Area, to raise up colorful Tibetan prayer flags outside your homes and businesses beginning April 20, 2013 and leaving them up through May 20 as a celebration of and welcoming to His Holiness the Dalai Lama."

Tracy Thomson made a special New Orleans edition of prayer flags that made to Mount Everest - photo by Marc Pagani

Local artist and milliner Tracy Thomson made a special New Orleans edition of the prayer flags that actually made it up to Mount Everest! Tracy says, "I make them in strings of 12 flags, either in multi colors, or in traditional Tibetan colors. I call the set 'A Prayer for New Orleans', and the prayers are rebuild, recover, recycle, rejoice, etc. They're each hand made." They are out of stock, but Tracy says she is making more and they will be ready in about two weeks. Find her on her website Kabuki to get yours.

Tracy Thompson making the NOLA prayer flags in her shop Kabuki

I got the traditional ones at one of my favorite home furnishings shops, Spruce. Stop by and get a string of them and hang them up outside of your house. His Holiness The Dalai Lama arrives any day now in New Orleans.

The New Orleans prayer flags by Tracy Thomson


As we all know Buddhas of every kind have invaded home decor and fashion over the past few years. I found some rally wonderful pieces of jewelry at Trashy Diva. What a perfect time to get a ring or a pair of earrings to wear when you go see the Dalai Lama.

Wonderful Buddha rings at Trashy Diva at 2048 Magazine Street - They are made from vintage materials

Asian inspired earrings at Trash Diva at 2048 Magazine Street

How many of you have a Buddha in your house, or on a T-Shirt? I have a couple in my garden that I really love. I wonder of His Holiness The Dalai Lama will be cruising around the Irish Channel to see my prayer flags to welcome him.

I made the painting of this Pink Buddhas for my patio

This Buddha came from a restaurant and ended up in an antique shop on Magazine Street before it came to my yard - I love how it looks with all the iris pants

Hello Dalai! Welcome to New Orleans!


Hover over any image to Pin it.
Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

2 comments:

  1. Great post and I was there! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is really informative i really had fun reading it.

    ReplyDelete