Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Money For Comments

Are you tired of no one leaving comments on your blog?  Or are you only getting single digits? What do you think about paying for comments?! And who pays for comments on her blog?!

Who pays to get comments on her blog?


Maybe you can comment on this:

Tom Landry and Shawn Richard went to Haiti right after the earthquake in 2010. They wanted to help and they were not sure how they could do it.

Tom is an interior architect and Shawn is an attorney. They have a son. They have a gorgeous life in New Orleans. They work hard, and love life. There was no reason for them to go to Haiti. They could have just written a check to the Red Cross.

But go they did. And there have been 22 trips back since.

Tom and Shawn with Frenel in Haiti

On that first trip they were directed to help out at a facility for handicapped orphans. Of course it was destroyed, and they helped rebuild it. In the process they became emotionally attached, and forever involved.

In Haiti there is a deep social stigma attached to the handicapped. Children born with handicaps of all types, are often left on the steps of an orphanage by parents who do not want them. Those are the lucky ones, not left to die abandoned God knows where.

Besides support in general for the orphanage (St. Vincents), Tom and Shawn started a camp for some of the kids at St. Vincents. There are 350 orphans, and they often never leave the walls of the orphanage for their entire lives.

The camp is called Camp Jake in honor of their nephew who disabled. Every year they take 70 kids to a resort, which Tom describes as a glorified Motel 6, but pretty luxe by Haitian standards.

The kids get a break and a bigger view of the world. They get to swim (many for the first time in their lives), do art projects, hang out and just have fun. They get massages and pampering (many have never been touched). They also learn a skill that perhaps can lead to them to a money making job in the future.

It is an extraordinary logistical effort and feat to get all these kids with their special needs transported and cared for.  The next Camp Jake is in July.

That being said, you can please donate. Tom tells us how:

http://www.redthreadpromise.org/help.html
Then the donor hits the DONATE button which brings them to Paypal.
They must put CAMP JAKE in the commentary of the donation for my program to get funds.


And Alberto and I will donate a dollar for every comment left on this post. Leave as many as you like. Yes! The Visual Vamp pays for comments. Quel scandale!

The kids from St. Vincents who go to Camp Jake - It takes $1500. + per kid to get them there


Hover over any image to Pin it.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog


44 comments:

  1. Hey, they're doing something good, and so are you two. Thanks for spreading the word about this work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I don't mind being bought... This is really good of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What they are doing is so inspiring, and it's also heartbreaking to see how handicapped children are mistreated. I'll go check out the website now and see what I can do to support them. Thanks Valorie for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Valorie! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I mention it is a phenomenal cause?!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, VV, for spreading the word about Tom and Shawn's efforts and for your generosity. It is so uplifting to read about good-hearted people who are helping others in need. I hope the residents of St. Vincent's have the time of their lives at camp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Thanks for posting this. I've also posted it on my Facebook page and encouraged my friends to comment here, too, but also to check out your wonderful blog. It sustains me throughout my week, seeing the beauty you create and share with us.

    Invite Beauty,

    I.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing, Valorie! Amazing story and great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe of your dedication to these wonderful and deserving children. Thanks for making a difference in the world. It is inspiring. My friend Ivan shared your site on his FB page. Love it!
    Lee Ann Eurs

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so inspiring to see people doing things like this! Thank you for posting, and hopefully helping to raise the funds needed for this amazing camp! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic program and what great guys to work so hard at this. They are making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic, thanks for spreading the word about this awesome program!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You rule! Sending lots of love to you!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Send them a check for $500.

    $1/comment is laughable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's an idea! Why don't YOU donate $500 in addition to what we are doing here? That's the way to make your point. SHOW us, don't TELL us.

      Many thanks for all that YOU might do. And even more thanks to Valorie - for doing as well as saying!

      Karen

      Delete
    2. I agree.

      So much easier to criticize and shame (anonymously) than to do something creative, productive, and compassionate. At least that comment will still generate a dollar of goodness! (And so will my reply and Karen's, too, I hope!)

      Delete
    3. Considering most families in Haiti live on $1 a day, I applaud even the smallest contributions. Valorie's efforts are great no matter how minute they may seem to you. I am in Haiti many times a year and know how much is needed and how long a dollar can go in providing necessities to the poorest in the Western Hemisphere.

      Anonymity is most admirable when making a philanthropic contribution, however when criticizing others philanthropic efforts, it is shameful!

      I would like to challenge you, "Anonymous" to make the $500 donation you suggested Valorie make. Once I see that in the account for TRTP: Camp Jake under AnonInNOLA, I shall match that donation. If you chose not to match the random amount you suggested to Valorie, any amount will do. I will gladly match any amount you donate, even if it is less than the dollar your initial comment has raised for Camp Jake.

      Delete
  15. lots of one dollars add up, silly anonymous............you do rock very much. There are so many causes to support, you have chosen to support one very worthy. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharingfurniture online

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I have just found your blog tonight. What a great cause to give money too, so I am happy to comment.

    Julie q

    ReplyDelete
  18. love love love. You rock Valorie- and thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay Valorie! And yay Tom and Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful story! Thank you for telling it. This solidifies that there are good people in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful idea and cause!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post about this wonderful cause Valorie. As usual, your blog is both informative and thought provoking. About comments - I sometimes feel like I'm just repeating what everyone else has already said and my comment would just be redundant. It's not that I don't want to comment, I just feel like it'a already been said.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely couple and story! I also donated!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel the same way Gerry does about comments. Sometimes it is just wearying to post a "lovely" or "great post!" but then I get so sad when I have no comments on my own blog. I know how much it means to know that people read what you take the time to post. I read your blog every day whether I comment or not. These are beautiful people and a great cause.
    xoxo -e (modern24seven.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bravo !! Great story, heading over to paypal now !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much, V&A, for sharing the story of your friends and their project in Haiti. Makes ones heart swell, knowing there are good people out there lending a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful cause! You are awesome for bringing awareness and making the donation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for reminding me about this - donated on the redthread site, and now a buck from you too! This is an awesome way to raise awareness for this amazing cause. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. lovely post, let me cost you some more money! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. via FB

    I tried to leave a comment on the blog but it gave me an "unknown error."

    Julie Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  31. So inspiring to hear of people willing to give so much of themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just found your blog via Perch. And am completely smitten. Then read this post and had to comment! Talented and a big heart! What beautiful souls your friends are. Please send them a big hug and thank-you from me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ⚡❤⚡ thank you ⚡❤⚡

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you!!!!!! Many Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  35. We love Tom and Shawn - The kids at St. V's love them

    ReplyDelete
  36. Camp Jake does an amazing job. Thanks for helping them out. I love these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm just seeing this today. This is a great cause!

    ReplyDelete