Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sara Ruffin Costello New Orleans Style

A couple of weeks ago Sara Ruffin Costello introduced her BFF Miles Redd when he gave a talk at his book signing at the Ogden Museum in New Orleans. My thought bubble was "Oh that chick". Sara was wearing a matching top and pants, slim silhouette. It was black, with a small print that made her outfit look like chic grown-up PJs. And her introduction was genuine, funny, and perfect.

Sara Ruffin Costello and Miles Redd in New York

I remember another blogger/stylist/artist and I talking on the phone one day (quite awhile ago) when SRC's name came up. The BSA asked me if I knew SRC who had just landed in New Orleans from New York, another New New among our ranks. I was told SRC and her husband Paul are the coolest couple and they would be great to know. I kind of said yeah sure.............................(sound of crickets).

I noticed a few pics of the couple in the company of the design and social glitterati here in NOLA, and a wisp of a memory of them came into focus. She is a kind of famous as one of the Domino Magazine (and book) team, and as a writer for the NY Times and Wall Street Journal, writing great style pieces. He is a well known photographer for the NY Times and many many other major outlets (his work is also beautiful).

New Orleans living room of Sara and Paul Costello, recent New News

The West Village home they left behind for the Garden District in New Orleans - I love to compare what they kept and changed - There's a nice mix of old and new here, but I think it gets better in NOLA

There's definitely more color and stuff, something that takes you over when you live in New Orleans

I checked out their West Village house on Curbed, and another light bulb popped off. Oh that girl! Oh that couple! I realized "I knew" them all along, just not putting names with spaces and work I already loved. In fact their bedroom wallpaper inspired a wall treatment in my house.

The master bedroom in the West Village House - This wallpaper inspired me

SRC inspired me before I knew who she was! You can see we both like to rock a good print and some PJ style -  photo by Sara Essex Bradley for Rue Magazine


And of course I "knew" the couple from Domino and Domino The Book, and all their work at large that I have been looking at and enjoying over the past few years. Duh. I finally connected some dots.

This is the West Village again, but the room changed - It already has some New Orleans flava - I think the more simple room might have been done when they put the house up for sale

Here's a composite of the real estate photos of the West Village house from Curbed

So here they are now living in New Orleans! We are so happy in New Orleans for the influx of a cadre of young smart stylish people choosing to make New Orleans their home (or at least their home base).

I love this quote - so true, so true - And  when you first come to New Orleans you cannot believe that a door like the one in this photo is standard issue in many houses - It can make you do a happy dance

Detail of the living room in New Orleans - Tip: Paint your trim the same color as your walls

They know what Alberto and I discovered 13 years ago: This is a nice little cosmopolitan city with affordable real estate, so staggeringly great in comparison to New York. When you first start house hunting you almost do a happy dance when the real estate agent isn't looking. The space and the style in New Orleans seems like a steal. In fact it is. More than a steal, it is almost a gift.

Everything we love - Color, books, art

And if you have jobs that you can do from any home base, New Orleans is so perfect. We chose it for just that reason, and because it is the most beautiful Bohemian place with no winter, great food, wonderful shopping, fantastic music and art, lots to do (or not do), and terrific people who thrive on joie de vivre.

So it's good to have Sara and Paul and family here in New Orleans. They will give alot to the city, and it will give alot to them.

Good to have you in New Orleans - Paul Costello and Sara Costello (she is on the right at the end) hosting a party in their new New Orleans home

Their house was on The PRC Holiday Home Tour 2012


All photos of the New Orleans house from a great blog called Domaine. Photos of the West Village house from Curbed.


Hover over any image to Pin it.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog

11 comments:

  1. A long overdue comment; I love your blog and immediately read it as soon as received. You are entertaining and refreshingly down to earth while providing beautiful decor inspiration and good tips. It seems you and New Orleans are a match made in heaven.

    Thank you for the great articles.

    Sincerely,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara Ruffin Costello's living room is gorgeous. Even though I'm Canadian, I think I was meant to live in New Orleans. I'm a New Orleanian (is this the correct designation?) at heart!

    BTW: I LOVE your pajama style - gotta have me some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their home was one of my favorites on the PRC Holiday tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love her, love her house, love new orleans, LOVE that she said FU to new york.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH and ps...LOVE that pic of you standing in front of the dresser. what is hanging behind you? is it wallpaper or fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a excellent addition to New Orleans. Beautiful home, especially loved the palm leaf chandelier. Your PJ's looked fabulous, great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And YOU look fab decked out in your chettah J's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fabulous post. More often than not, the spaces that really capture me are the ones that have some sort of New Orleans connection.

    The new living room is beautiful. I love how the art and the books are so essential to the spaces, both in the old and the new spaces.

    My favorite picture, though, is the one of you in pajamas. Classic VV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THAT chick, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing designs. Simply elegant and spacious. I love those wall papers, so exquisite.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete