Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Missing Alberto

Today is bad. I am spooked. The idea that Alberto died is crashing down on me. The day he died I was in shock and sick. The next day I was numbed with making practical decisions for the funeral.

We live in a camel back house, which means there is a second story over the back part of the house. Alberto's office is up there. I still feel him up there, hearing tango music waft down, or him yelling GOOOOOAL during a soccer game, or seeing him napping peacefully. Soon he will come down and find me, give me a kiss, and ask me what I want him to fix me for lunch. Our lunches at our table in the kitchen were always wonderful. Good food and glasses of wine, and lively conversation as we filled each other in on what we were doing that day. Alberto loved to cook for me.


Some of you are asking about the arrangements and what you can do to help:

The funeral for Alberto Paz will be held Saturday, February 15 at Schoen, 3827 Canal Street in New Orleans at 11 AM. Repast at our home afterwards. Please in lieu of flowers make a contribution to Paypal fund at boutique@planet-tango.com to help with funeral expenses. Thank you.

Schoen

16 comments:

  1. Speechless, tearful, my arms reach out to you.
    XO
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Valorie, my heart aches for you. Sending you my love and prayers. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...my dear Valorie. I know the pain you are in. You are loved by all of us here in Blogland. I know that is not much comfort at a time like this...but it will give you a place to come when you need to. Call me any time...my dear.....thinking of you lots and lots and wishing I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling Valorie, it's me Carey. Thank you for letting us know how you are doing and what you are feeling. I do hope it helps you to write, to express, to loose some of those stones from your heart. As you walk through all the doors of this loathsome journey, I and many others are here to catch whatever you toss up to the sky. If you send us your words, we receive them gently and sincerely. If you are silent, then we receive that too, but with our senses tuned to your reappearance. So whether or not you have the strength to reach out on any given day, love is coming your way and prayers are going up on your behalf to our Heavenly Father who never sleeps, who never turns His face from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valorie, again my deepest sympathy. I know you are overwhelmed with decisions and the wheels of life ever churning away although you are in a "stand still". Please know that thoughts of you and your family are ever present. Sharing your memories, both joy and grief, will be very helpful to you in the days ahead. Embrace all the memories and despite those who would advise you to immediately dispose of personal belongings, please don't listen. You need to have something to cling to, to love, cherish and remember in the days ahead. They will help you heal. Sometimes the sweet memories evoked by the smell of cologne becomes a healing balm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valorie, I'll be thinking about you, sending good thoughts your way. I think Alberto is there watching over you. ox

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for your loss...I know your feelings your shock. My husband passed, my love, my friend, my everything. Cherish your memories. It's a confusing time just follow your heart right now. People will tell you what you should do, follow your heart. They mean well, but they are not you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trust Him
    when darkest thoughts
    assail thee.
    Trust Him
    when thy faith
    is small.
    Trust Him
    when to simply
    Trust Him
    is the hardest thing of all.

    Sending love and prayers.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lost my husband almost 2 yrs ago. The best advice I received was to mourn his death your way. Don't let anyone tell you what to feel or not feel. Be kind to yourself. I will pray for you. This is a really hard road you are beginning to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear of this. Sincerest condolences to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so, so sorry to read this tragic news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are not alone, my prayers are with you.

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete