Friday, February 7, 2014

Young Alberto Paz

Alberto and I met when we no longer young. We were not old yet, more middle aged. When we met our romance was a whirlwind. We met in July and I was his by October, giving up my life in New York to move to California to start our life together. Many people were shocked at the speed of it. At that time Alberto and I told each other and them that we were not spring chickens and that if we had twenty years left to love each other and dance together we would be lucky. We made it to 18 years.



We never knew each other in the bloom and perfection of youth. Sure when we met, he thought I was beautiful and sexy and wonderful, and I thought he was handsome and sexy and marvelous. And the tango made us feel like young lovers. It felt this way every time we danced together.

I am gathering photos with his children for the slide show to be presented at the funeral. His son sent me the one I am sharing with you. It's a young Alberto, a young father with his two young children, along with Alberto's parents. I met his mother once in Buenos Aires, his father had passed away before I knew Alberto (and his mother is now gone too), and of course I know his children now. They are 40-ish now, the age I was when I met and fell in love with their dad.

This photo is remarkable, because this is how I always saw Alberto, even though I did not know him when he was young. He was and is my beautiful Tangoman.

The funeral for Alberto Paz will be held Saturday, February 15 at Schoen, 3827 Canal Street in New Orleans at 11 AM. Repast at our home afterwards. Please in lieu of flowers make a contribution to Paypal fund at boutique@planet-tango.com to help with funeral expenses. Thank you.


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful children! Just like their father!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valorie, it's me, Carey. It's so interesting to hear details from your and Alberto's story, and to see a photograph like this. Looking forward to more as you feel drawn to sharing. Thinking of you daily and praying for your comfort and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Valorie, I am so sad for you. I know how very difficult it must be to write this out. But, the beauty of our blogging friends is that truly we all understand and wish we could be there to hold your hand. What a wonderful tribute to him. You are so fortunate to have had him for 18 years. I lost my 2nd husband after only 7 years, 7 bright, brilliant, wonderful, fun-filled years. And, that was almost 8 years ago. Sending love, my friend....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the picture with us. Young Alberto is handsome (and of course, he was handsome when he was older too ;)) and his children are beautiful. Sending prayers your way.
    Yuko @ northfield gate

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was a beautiful man . Sending love and sympathy ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you and the family in this horrible loss. God bless you and give you strength in the happy memories ox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valorie, I have thought of you all day long. I pray Alberto's service was all you had hoped for and the gathering after a wonderfully comforting time; to hear stories and learn even more about the love of your life. My most tender thoughts for you the next few days, weeks and months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...so handsome and look at the sparkle and magic in his eyes. Thought of you all day today. I hope his service was befitting the man. I'll be anxious to hear how you are. I know the next few months are going to be hard. I'm glad you have some fun projects you are working on. Hope you can pull yourself together to do them...but speaking from experience sometimes its almost impossible to do anything when you've suffered a great loss. Love you.....

    ReplyDelete