Monday, July 8, 2013

Commissioning A Painting Of Your Children

New Orleans is a place that loves traditions, and one tradition popular is having your child's portrait painted. Many of my clients have portraits that need to be included in the decorating scheme.

A portrait of ones children is a key element in home decor

Most of the portraits are very traditional, often in fancy gilt frames. However, New Orleans has evolved like the rest of the design world, wanting a mix of old and new things.  Many of my clients still want a portrait painted, but they want something more modern.

One of my clients commissioned New Orleans artist Eleanor Smith to do this fabulous portrait

I love this impressionist style portrait of a little girl by Kim Roberti

Local artist Ashley Longshore does wonderful modern portraits of children

I contacted Bob and Cortney Novogratz about this artist in their book Downtown Chic, and they put me in touch with Linda Mason in New York. Like many artists, she works from a photograph, but prefers to come to you home and take the photos herself and get to know your kids.

By coincidence, there is another artist named Linda Mason, who specializes in pet portraits, but also does children's portraits

I often find this kind of very traditional portrait in New Orleans done by Carol Peebles

Or I find portraits done by New Orleans artist Reed Chappell

Here's another one by Reed Chappell

And here's another by Reed Chappell, with a parent

Biloxi artist Frank Janca employs old master techniques

Have you had your child's portrait painted? What was the process like? Did the artist work from life or a photograph? Do you like traditional or more modern interpretations? I think the most important thing is to capture the essence of the child, don't you?

Very trad - by Reed Chappell

Very mod - by Etsy artist Blue Day Designs


Here's an interesting link telling you "Everything You Need to Know When Commissioning  a Portrait Painting."

Using a painting of your children in your interior design





Hover over any image to Pin it.

Please add my NEW address to your blog list:
http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog



4 comments:

  1. These portraits are all so lovely and heartfelt! I enjoyed the captured essense and color in Kim Roberti's portrait! It makes me smile just looking at it. Thanks Vamp for this blog on portraits! Oh and don't forget our other children...pets! Linda WB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of the portraits - I have all three of my children in one room and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have portraits of my kids but you have certainly put a bee in my bonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder what my brother & I will do with the giant portrait - maybe 3/4 life size, considering we were 13 and 8 years old - my mom had done of us together. We can't exactly split the canvas! My favorite thing about it is that it was painted by Lois Gibson, who is also the incredibly talented forensic artist for the Houston Police Department. It made QUITE an impression on me when I sat for her and she showed me her portfolio. Family portraits on one page, sketches next to mug shots on another. ~ Andrea in Houston

    ReplyDelete